Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Does Bunnings cut wood to size?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Does Bunnings cut wood to size?

Many Bunnings stores offer a timber cutting service to help you get your wood home and get started on your project.

Here are some frequently asked questions about our timber cutting service to help Bunnings Workshop members. 

What type of cuts can be done at a Bunnings store?

Bunnings stores typically have two types of saws for timber cutting.  

• Panel saw – used to cut large sheet materials into smaller rectangular sections and pieces. The machine is capable of both horizontal and vertical cuts on most of our board products. Some examples of products that can be cut using a panel saw include MelaminePlywood and MDF.   

Does this service have a cost? 

Bunnings stores may charge a small fee for timber cutting. The price is:

• Timber docking - First two cuts are free, and 50 cents per additional cut

• Panels and sheeting - First cut is free and $1 per additional cut.

Is this service available at my local Bunnings?

You can check whether the timber cutting service is available at a nearby store by visiting the Bunnings website. Here’s how:  

• Mobile device - Select your nearest store and then click on your store's name on the top left of the screen. This will take you to your store's information page, including details about what services they offer

• Desktop computer - Type the nearest store's name in the change store drop-down and then click on store details. This will take you to your store's information page, including details on what services they offer.

Can I bring my own piece of timber to be cut?

Due to the many variables associated with timber products, we can only cut products purchased from our stores.

When is the best time to visit a store for timber cutting?

Visiting at a quieter time will ensure faster service. It's best to avoid weekends and public holidays as many other D.I.Y. enthusiasts will also be looking to build their own projects.

What if I want to do the cutting at home?

Knowing what saw to use and how to use it is the key to success. Here are some useful guides to get you started: 

What if I can't get my timber home? 

We offer a number of options to get your products home safely. You can use our free courtesy trailer for up to two hours. If you need more time you can also hire a trailer, a ute or a van to suit your needs. We also offer a comprehensive delivery service to assist you in getting your purchases home. Most stores offer same day or next day service. Please contact your nearest store for details.

Please feel free to let me know if you have further questions about our helpful timber cutting service.

Mitchell

Timber (002).jpg

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Does Bunnings do multiple cuts for a fee on MDF board at Narellan?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @sbruce. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about Bunnings doing multiple cuts on MDF board.

I've just spoken to the Narellan and Hoxton Parks stores and their cutting services are currently available. The first cut for large panels is free, and any proceeding cut is charged at 1$ each. If you're having timber cut, the first two cuts are free and any additional cut is charged at 50 cents. What kind of timber project are you working on? Any details you can provide would be much appreciated. If you happen to have any questions about your project, please don't hesitate to post them. Our members would be more than happy to provide advice and information.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

deflen22
Just Starting Out

Buying timber in linear metres at Bunnings

was wondering what the process was for buying timber by the linear metre at Bunnings?...the lengths I want are cut at Bunnings or do I have to take the full length of timber?...TIA

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Buying timber in linear metres at Bunnings

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @deflen22. It's great to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about buying timber.

Although many of our timber products prices are denoted in a cost per lineal metre, most if not all are sold in designated lengths. For instance, the 90 x 45mm Framing MGP10 H2 Blue Pine. It's $5.85 per lineal metre, but the set lengths will be along the lines of 2.4m, 2.7m, 3.0m, 3.6m, 3.9m, etc. If you were after lengths of 2.5m, you'd need to purchase the entire 2.7m lengths, and we can cut them down for you. Since you'll be paying for the 0.2m offcuts, it's essential to try and get the closest length to your desired size for minimal wastage or alter plans to suit what is available.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

DuchessUrbino
Just Starting Out

Re: Does Bunnings cut wood to size?

I want to find someone who can cut circular pieces of inexpensive yet solid timber in graduated sizes for me. I want to make a large-ish shelf Christmas tree for next year. Id like the bottom piece and the largest circle shelf to be about 152cms in diameter. Probably six shelves all together graduating to the top. I am thinking like a 1.5 cms thick. I am not sure it even needs to be timber, I just don't know who to go to to make this happen. I do not have a workshop nor a saw that will do this. 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @DuchessUrbino. It's great to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about employing the services of a tradesperson.

You might like to place the job on a site like hipages or Airtasker. Alternatively, I would think most carpenters would be able to create something for you. 

Shout out if you'd like to give this project a go yourself, as I trust our members would be more than happy to provide assistance and answer any questions you might have. 

Mitchell

r23on
Amassing an Audience

go to your local mens shed they will should be able to help 

Hi @DuchessUrbino 

As suggested by @MitchellMc to outsource the work required.

I have previously checked at Bunnings for these precut timber round material for a lazy Suzan I was making, I found these after I made my own timber

circles using merbau pickets at one of the Bunnings store in Melbourne, they had a variety of sizes.  Hope this helps

.IMG_2448[1].JPG

IMG_2486[1].JPG

JoeAzza_0-1641252690552.png

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi Duchess! (@DuchessUrbino

"I want to make a large-ish shelf Christmas tree for next year. Id like the bottom piece and the largest circle shelf to be about 152cms in diameter."

I'm very keen to find out how you got on with this - because I like the idea and it makes for an interesting project. I really think you could do this with a jigsaw - a rather inexpensive purchase these days...

Former Workshop member
Not applicable

Hi @MitchellMc

I have been looking for a desk top with 2000x700 (or 800), this specific size is hard to come by for Acacia, Oak material (or finishes) apart from going fully custom and paying over thousand dollars. 

I found this https://www.bunnings.com.au/specrite-2400-x-900mm-33mm-timber-panel-teak-fj-laminated_p0229069 Timber panel with 2400x900 dimensions, with a feature note that I can get this this cut to any size (I believe Randwick Bunnings does cutting), but my questions is after i get it cut, do I need to apply anything to the cut parts and if I need to what products would you recommend? I do not jave much of handyman knowledge, but I can get it done by myself if need be

just FYI, the purpose of the table will be heavy duty Computer desk with 4 monitors, heavy speakers, PC tower ETC. 

Hi @Former Workshop member,

A feature of the SpecRite 2400 x 900mm 33mm Timber Panel Teak FJ Laminated is that it is able to be cut. Some finger jointed and laminated boards can't as they'll fall apart. Unfortunately, this isn't something that we can do for you in-store. Do you happen to have or know someone that has a circular saw? Provided you clamp down a straight edge as a guide, you'll be able to achieve a clean cut with not much effort.

You won't need to apply anything to the cut edge, but you might like to look at products that you could apply to the whole panel to prevent stains and wear commonly experienced on desk surfaces. Something like Cabothane clear would be suitable.

If you're planning on loading the panel up with plenty of weight, consider placing one or two mid legs to support it evenly. This will stop the panel from bowing over the 2400mm length.

Please let me know if you have questions, and I can't wait to see your finished setup.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects