Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Electric roller door

Trouper66
Getting Established

Electric roller door

I have an electric double roller door which when going up and down creaks really loudly. I have spayed the tracks with silicon to try and cut down on the noise but this is temporary. Is there any other product (grease, fluid etc) that may be applied that may make the ride smoother and quieter?

Thank you.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Electric roller door

Many thanks for your question @Trouper66.

Let me tag @Noyade@TedBear and @HandyAndy to see what they would use to make a roller door quieter when retracting. I'm sure @EricL will also share his thought as soon as possible.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
HandyAndy
Building a Reputation

hi @Trouper66 

perferably don't use silicone based products, they stay too wet/greasy and attract dust etc.

this product - Garage Door Lubricant is the way to go, however, you will have to apply it regularly, i do it about once a month as i don't use my door often, you shouldn't have to do it as often if you use your door regularly. It's also worth checking the manual for your roller door if you can, this will have some routine maintenence guidelines to help improve the door.

Hi @Trouper66 the only thing I can add to @HandyAndy ' advice is to check that the guide channels haven't moved across, which could cause them to bind against the door in places. They are usually bolted inside the garage door frame on slotted tongues. Over the years they can become loose and move out of alignment. If they are not perfectly parallel then you can adjust them back by loosening the bolts a tad and tapping the channel/s back to where they don't grab or allow undue side movement as the door moves. Best tested by manually moving the door up and down.  But if the recommended lubricant does the trick then leave the channels as they are. 

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

I don't own a roller door, but...

"creaks really loudly"

...doesn't sound good. Maybe more than just friction?

My father installed a roller door in his garage in 1958. He lubed the runners with grease. No noise - but we ruined a lotta clothes brushing up against the channels.  :unhappy:

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Trouper66

It's great that you've received amazing advice from @HandyAndy, @TedBear, and @Noyade. Let me add my two cents of information to your project. I suggest removing the guide channels to the left and right of the roller doors and tapping the locking pins back into alignment with the door. Using a Paint Partner 38mm Synthetic Paint Brush, brush some Kincrome 500g Multipurpose Grease on the side assembly of the roller door. Do not over-apply, your objective is to put an adequate coating without putting on too much that it causes it to gum up. Let it settle for a few minutes.

While we wait for the grease to settle, I recommend cleaning the guide channels and putting on a light coat of grease inside the channel before you re-install it. Once installed, test the roller door to make sure that everything lines up and works properly. Use a paper towel to wipe off any excess grease. If you still get creaking noise, listen carefully if it is coming from between the joints of the roller panels. This is where you will need to apply the Garage Door Lubricant

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your roller garage door fixed.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects