Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to re-hang a garden shed door?

BigFella1956
Building a Reputation

How to re-hang a garden shed door?

Hello Everyone!, I have a steel garden shed, 6m X 3m. Today, the left opening door (when looking front on) was caught in strong wind and the door was almost ripped off its hinges of which there are 3 in total with each secured by 6 rivets - 3 into the door frame and 3 into the shed frame. I have an idea or 2 how to fix, however, I thought I'd see if the Workshop Universe could make any recommendations that I have not thought of. See 3 pictures below. Regards, Chris

Shed 3.jpgShed 2.jpgShed 1.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Re-hanging garden shed door

Hello @BigFella1956 

From an anchoring point of view, I suggest changing the rivets with Zenith 1/4" x 12mm Zinc Plated Mushroom Head Bolt And Nut on the condition that it will not interfere with the operation of the shed door. Although the mushroom heads are low it will take up more space than blind rivet heads. You might need to do a bit of an adjustment with the hinges to make it work.

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1, @MikeTNZ, @TedBear and @JoeAzza for their recommendation on what to use on your shed door.  

If you have any other question we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Hi @BigFella1956,

My advice would be to get a 2.5-3mm thick steel plate and rivet or bolt it in position and also build up the fixings to the hinge.

I think that machine screws and nylock nuts would probably be better than any rivets as these tend to pull out with any lateral force on them.

If you require any further help, by all means let us know.

Cheers,

Mike T.

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

From the pics it looks like the head of the rivets were on the shed side and the hinges held on only by the spread of the rivet ...?

After some panel beating or repositioning of hinges, I'd be using the biggest pop rivets that will go through the hinge holes, attaching them from the hinge side and using a small washer on the shed side to give the rivets some decent metal thickness to pull against.  If you can fit bolts and nuts instead, as suggested by EricL then that could be a good solution.

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to re-hang a garden shed door?

Good Morning @BigFella1956 

Bugger! Yeah we have all done the same and the wind will take it and run. 😕

The post of the door looks solid still which is good, I went over the photos a few times trying to figure out what might be able to done.

How about replacing the rivets on the hinge (larger if the holes have been expanded due to the wind or elongated.) If its too far elongated maybe a new set of holes will be needed on the post. With the door side, Id buy some metal strapping and cut it so it will fit into that cavity strip wise (the white colourbond U channel) The smallest strapping I could find was 25mm in width or you can buy a gal sheet and cut it down)

Make the new "back" strip at least 3times as long as the hinge. Pop rivet to the location of the hinge part of the door at the very top and bottom parts so its locked into place then when you go to re-attach the hinge itself go through the white metal and the strap itself. That way you are re-enforcing that edge. 

Id also add a chain phyisically to the door top or mid to the point the door can open out. That way the wind cant collect the door/s next time.

Dave

BigFella1956
Building a Reputation

Re: How to re-hang a garden shed door?

Thanks Dave. Yes, it will be important to reinforce the area. As for the chain, bl**dy good idea - never even considered that. Cheers. Chris

BigFella1956
Building a Reputation

Thanks Eric. I'll check out the Zenith bolts as some reinforcement is required. Chris

BigFella1956
Building a Reputation

Thanks Mike T! I like the idea of a steel plate would help significantly with the reinforcement I need. Chris

BigFella1956
Building a Reputation

Thanks TedBear. Yes, the door was held on only by the spread of the rivets and it's now bleeding obvious I need to reinforce the area. Chris

Hi @BigFella1956,

May I just say this, thank you for very descriptive photo's in your original post,

we can't stress this enough, if people are looking for help, we need to see what has happened and how

we could possibly suggest some sort of a solution, your photo's were straight to the point!

Thanks,

Mike T.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects