Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair table saw?

TekBoffin
Growing in Experience

How to repair table saw?

Hi, I have an older model GMC(?)  table saw that I bought second-hand several years ago. When I got it the winder handle to adjust the blade height was broken, but I could still manage to use it. Over the weekend I decided to see if I could fix it. I managed to manufacture and fit a suitable winder which looks reasonable (not pretty, but functional). 

My problem is that I had to remove the spindle bolt to fit the new winder and (stupid me) I didn't take a photo of how it goes together before I dismantled it. Thinking it was simple enough, I pulled it apart and now I cant work out how it is supposed to go together and work. I just can't get my head around the concept of how it works.

I am hoping that someone has a similar style of table saw and can provide a photo of the same part. I will provide some photos of it now. The problem is where the 2x sets of nuts should be positioned and tightened to make the saw raise and lower.

The close-up photo shows a long hex shaft with with a threaded hole through the middle (sideways). The spindle bolt which is turned by winding the (new) handle, goes through the threaded hole in the hex shaft. There are two pairs of nuts on the spindle bolt, which were locked up tight. I'm pretty sure one pair was on each side of the hex shaft. 

I just can't work out where to fix each pair to make it work. I thought there is likely to be other saws out there that work in a similar fashion, and a phot of the setup might help me work it out.

Overview for referenceOverview for referenceClose-up showing ntus and hex shaftClose-up showing ntus and hex shaftNew handleNew handle

Greg Miller
TekBoffin
Growing in Experience

Re: I broke my table saw...sort of.

Thanks Tedbear, you were spot on!

It works a treat now. Previously I had to try to grab the yellow plastic piece and try to turn it.

I'm very pleased to have it sorted.

Cheers,

Greg

Greg Miller
TekBoffin
Growing in Experience

"I forgot to mention how ingenious your repair job is for the winder."

There were 6 plastic fins on the inside of the yellow piece, a bit like wheel spokes. I cut some 1mm steel into a circle with an arm to be bent into the handle mount. Then drilled a hole in the centre and cut gaps for the spokes - a bit like a spline fitting. Then a couple of extra bolts to make sure it stayed put.

When I got it all together and working, I realised that the dowel handle was awkward to use, so I cut the rounded end off on old shovel handle. Drilled and mounted it on a bolt. I shaped it by using my drill press as a make-shift lathe (fairly high-risk activity, so proceeded with extreme caution.)

The end result is much better and even looks cool!

Thanks for all the help and encouragement!

Cheers,

Greg

New HandleNew Handle

Greg Miller
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @TekBoffin

Thank you for sharing that extra information about the repair steps you took to fix the winder. There is nothing like a custom repair job that makes a tool useful again. I'm sure our members will find this solution quite useful.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks @TekBoffin for posting that query... as a result of upturning my saw unit to take photos I removed heaps of extra sawdust and more importantly I saw an opportunity to add a push bar across the front to press against the off button. I am a bit of a safety freak, so it has always annoyed me that turning the unit off requires reaching under and pressing a small button. Now I have a long bar to bump

IMG_20221020_181531.jpg

Instead, which is much safer. It's the aluminium strip below the green On button on the  left. The off button is now hidden below that. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @TedBear

That is such an excellent upgrade, what's holding the aluminium in place? I'm in total agreement that it is much safer to turn the unit off. No more searching for the off button just bump the bar and it's off with no second thoughts.

Thank you for sharing such a clever idea.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @EricL 

That's from another lucky coincidence - my wife had just bought a new suction shower mat from Kmart ($10).

https://www.kmart.com.au/product/suction-shower-mat-42623397/

and there was a wide, strong plastic strip used in the packaging to enable the mat to be hung up for display purposes.

Instead of ditching it I kept it. (I keep almost anything that might come in handy one day/year.)

I cut it to length which provided both a hinge and support for the aluminium strip, which supplies the necessary stiffness.

The end that's screwed to my saw unit is the bit sticking out of the bottom of the rolled up mat (pictured below).

mat rolled with hanger strip in centremat rolled with hanger strip in centre

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Very clever Ted! 👍

My father's switch 'solution' to his old table saw. 😁

20221022_090726.jpg

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Great to see someone using the basics - such as just shutting the power off.

I also use a slightly more modern version of that - I have a remotely controlled switch unit which uses an infra-red sender.

I have the sender unit mounted in a plastic box with the lid attached to it's switch - such that if I hit that lid, the button gets pushed and the power gets shut off.   The box has felt on the bottom to absorb vibration and to keep it still.

I have it sitting on top of whatever I am feeding through, or nearby, so I can hit it if need be.

The bump strip is a more directly operated back-up to that.   I like that I can bump it off with my leg if I don't want to let go of the work.

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @TedBear 

That Bakelite switch isn't on a wall - it's on the table saw. It's the on-off switch for the saw. 😔

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects