Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

My new workshop

RatBoy
Building a Reputation

My new workshop

IMG_4376.jpegHi,

I recently moved into my new place, and apart from a lot of other things needing attention, I thought I would start off by making a workshop in the garage.

Happy to share specifics about how I went about making things, my thought process, and what materials I used etc, so please let me know if you'd like those details as it may help someone else out.

This is what it looked like when I did my final inspection just before I moved in:

IMG_1331.jpeg

And, this is the final product:

IMG_4376.jpeg

Remarka6le
Amassing an Audience

Re: My new workshop

Few things look better than an organised and clean shed, well done yo. 

Remarka6le
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @RatBoy

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fabulous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your beautifully arranged workshop.

What a totally awesome transformation. What did you use to line the walls of your shed? Did you put some type of flooring or is it just the angle of the camera that makes it look like there is something on your floor? Does it get hot inside and have you thought about putting insulation on your roof? I know it's a lot of questions, but I'm sure any other extra information you can share with our members would be highly appreciated.

Again, thank you for sharing your new workshop project.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi @RatBoy,

I would like to extend a warm welcome to the Workshop community! Thank you so much for sharing your incredible garage transformation project with us, I know the community would love to know your process and materials used. 

Bike storage is always tricky, what did you decide to do for yours?

Katie

RatBoy
Building a Reputation

Hi @EricL ,

The garage wasn't quite square, so to achieve this I built out from the walls slightly by using a number of uprights (100mm x 100mm) posts cut to 2.4m and bolted to the concrete via stirrups and dynabolts. There are a total of 8 uprights on the back wall, and 3 on each of the side walls. I then put in 4 horizontal cross members on each wall using 90x45mm timber. Once all that was braced and square I lined the walls with 2.4m x 1.2m x 19mm C/D plywood sheets and screwed them on and then painted them black.

The flooring is simply just gym floor mats that I used adhesive to stick to the concrete floor. They are easy to replace, add some protection should I drop any tools, and also easy to clean, and fairly cheap.

The workshop is also close to the opening of the double garage, so there is plenty of air flow, obviously in summer it still gets hot but I have a couple of standalone fans that I set up to help air flow. 

The only issues I've had was the 100mm rough cut uprights bolted to the concrete were still quite 'wet' when I receive them, so as they dried out, there was a little bit of movement so I've had to rebrace a few things to keep them in aligned, but nothing major. Something to be wary of though.

Cheers!

RatBoy
Building a Reputation

Hi @KatieC ,

I actually own a lot of bicycles and motorcycles, so half of the garage is dedicated just to that, the other half is where I park my car. So in terms of storage of bikes, I don't really have any issues, until I buy more bikes :smile: 

Cheers!

Robbo14
Finding My Feet

Please share how you made the work bench and storage bench. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Robbo14. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about this amazing project.

Let me mention @RatBoy to see if they can shed some light on the construction techniques. In the meantime, I've put together a rendering that should come close to how they've built these units. They appear to have used a reasonably basic and solid design, possibly made from 90 x 45mm framing timber and something like 18mm plywood

It's a really versatile design and easily extended or adapted to include a pegboard backing.

Please let us know if you need any assistance with replicating this project. 

Mitchell

Dear oh dear.

Then there's me....☹️

20220313_103159.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

😂 Love it @Noyade

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects