Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

My new workshop

RatBoy
Building a Reputation

My new workshop

IMG_4376.jpegHi,

I recently moved into my new place, and apart from a lot of other things needing attention, I thought I would start off by making a workshop in the garage.

Happy to share specifics about how I went about making things, my thought process, and what materials I used etc, so please let me know if you'd like those details as it may help someone else out.

This is what it looked like when I did my final inspection just before I moved in:

IMG_1331.jpeg

And, this is the final product:

IMG_4376.jpeg

RatBoy
Building a Reputation

Re: My new workshop

Almost spot on mate, apart from a few minor details;

1. I used 19mm C/D structural plywood for the top of the workbench and for the bottom shelf

2. I mounted the bottom shelf as low as I could go, almost to the floor so I had maximum space underneath to fit larger objects and materials

3. It’s 900mm high. The width and length can be customised to whatever you want obviously. 

4. I glued and used pocket holes to join all timber

@RatBoy Did you oil the plywood?

RatBoy
Building a Reputation

Not oiled, but I used a stain with hardener in it. I gave it about 4 coats. Works well as it protects it from spills, glue, and light scratches. 

Seaton
Having an Impact

Love it well done!

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Nice work!

I have tried to think what the blue pipe is used for on the left hand side of the bench and failed to come up with a satisfactory guess?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@Brad,

I've put my investigatory skills to the test and my best guess is that it is the mounting section of a Parktool bench-mounted bicycle repair stand. I arrived at that conclusion as @RatBoy said previously that half his garage was dedicated to bicycles.

The colour threw me for a little bit as I presumed it was something from Kinchrome. I'm keen to hear what it actually is and if any of our members have some other ideas.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
RatBoy
Building a Reputation

Hi @Brad ,

It's a Park Tool bench mount repair stand, it looks different because I've taken the clamping jaws out of it when I don't use it becasue they stick out a bit and I kept walking into it.

Also, good job @MitchellMc , your investigative skills are on point :smile: 

Cheers

MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Hi @RatBoy,

Nice work!

Just a question, is that some sort of carpet or coating on that floor?

If so, what sort is it?

I wish my workshop was this neat, at the moment it looks like someone blew up an Electrical wholesalers. :unhappy:

Cheers,

Mike T.

karentjdoyle
Growing in Experience

WOW, that is an amazing work space...I'm inspired.

I can't wait to see what awesome creations are made here. Great transformation, all that hard work paid off... amazing.

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

I used to work in a bike factory and we didn't have something as nice as that to work with.

Frame welder did use a swivel clamp system on a conveyor system.

Assembley was done by using the seat tube as the anchor point.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects