Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Need advice on balustrade for mezzanine floor for the shed

Sunda
Cultivating a Following

Need advice on balustrade for mezzanine floor for the shed

Hi,

I am looking at balustrade options for the mezzanine floor of our shed.

It is 2.4m above ground and am trying to figure out what are the economical options available?

Our contractor suggested timber balustrade, but I am concerned of the future maintenance and the potential of termites.

The other option I am investigating is wire balustrade.

All advice are very much appreciated.

Kind regards

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Need advice on balustrade for mezzanine floor for the shed.

Hello @Sunda

Looking at the maintenance part, I have to agree that using a wire balustrade is much easier to maintain. There's no need to do sanding, painting or do all the other necessary steps when you paint your balustrade. With a wire balustrade, you just need to make sure that the parts are still in good order, the wires still have tension and none of them are frayed or falling apart.

I suggest measuring the area you'll be covering. Make a plan with pen and paper, you'll then be able to calculate the parts that you'll be using both with timber and wire.

Let me tag our experienced members @Adam_W, @TedBear and @Brad for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Having just finished a wire one last month for someone.

I think the crimped wire is a better fixing method than the clamping style.

The clamped ones are not recomended for more than 1.2m above ground level anyway.

Turnbuckels while not the most attrctive things around do help you keep the wire tight.

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Sunda , whilst I agree with Eric & Brad that the wire will be less maintenance, if you feel that the timber will fit in with your aesthetics or cost  requirements, then don't rule it out due to white-ant risk, until you have looked at whether there actually is a risk.

Is your shed made of steel or timber?  

If it is timber, then the white-ant risk is there already and the balustrade is no more at risk than the rest of the shed. (But the wire balustrade would be one less area to worry about.)

If it is steel, then the risk is very low due to the fact that they need to make tunnels to get to the timber, and you would see those (unless the shed's lower interior walls are lined in that area). Also they aren't likely to seek out timber that is so hard to get to unless there is a desperate shortage of other timber, or else they have an easy pathway to it such an adjoining tree, or plants that are growing up the shed walls (e.g. Ivy).

So the options may be still open and could depend on the factors that are most important to you other than white-ants.

Sunda
Cultivating a Following

Thank you Eric. I really appreciate it.

I like to check with you if I would be able to get all the necessary materials in Bunnings if I like to go ahead with the wire balustrades?

Sunda
Cultivating a Following

Thank you for your advise, Brad.

I really appreciate it.

Would you be able to advise me what are the materials I need for the wire balustrades?

I'm not too familar with the system, but from all the readings, it seems like I can install posts 1.5m apart, 11 wires between posts with crimping system (suggested by you).

Is there anything else I need to consider?

Sunda
Cultivating a Following

Thank you TedBear.

The shed is made of steel, so it is unlikely to be infested by termites then.

That is good news.

I would have to weight up the upfront cost vs long term maintenance.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Sunda,

We keep a wide selection of wire balustrading. The most basic would be the Pinnacle Hardware Timber Eye/Turnbuckle Balustrading Kit. If you intend to use steel or aluminium posts, then the fixings can be pop-riveted. If you'd prefer a bolt through option, then we have the Pinnacle 3 - 3.2mm 316 Stainless Steel Swageless Balustrading Kit.

For your balustrading, you might like to take a look at this calculator from our supplier, Architects Choice. It will tell your exactly how many posts and wire rope kits you'll need.

Please let us know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects