Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

New shed storage project

Tara86
Amassing an Audience

New shed storage project

Hi everyone - as my love and interest in DIY continues to grow I found I needed an adequate area to accommodate this. I needed decent storage and a portable workbench that would be suitable for my drop saw but found it hard to find anything that ticked all the boxes. 

So I tried my best at creating my own. This way I could measure it to fit in my garage and keep my car in the garage at night. 

I’ve uploaded some pics but interested to know if there’s anything else I should add or any helpful tips. FYI - my workbench now has lockable castor wheels so it’s portable. 

Thanks!69907954-B4B3-49A0-821A-E1D9D06635FB.jpeg1635757C-AD3C-4F3A-95E6-E3C07D02ADCB.jpeg661E2DE4-C0C0-40F9-B0C4-2FB05E6B3E01.jpeg4116D166-DDDB-43D8-AB85-F944252688DC.jpeg4AD76520-C83D-4DC6-8428-651824B2F3ED.jpegF87356E8-ABBB-4E03-BDD2-373ED29ADF0E.jpegA6C0E4A5-79AC-4C5E-AE1E-B1F1A61A23F9.jpeg409F79CB-6800-438F-8899-38C9B4D6E4D1.jpeg8A69E1E4-38E9-4F76-A8B7-FF7F50AEAB92.jpeg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Current reno of my she-shed!

Fantastic work @Rolando. Many thanks for sharing your terrific storage system. I'm sure a lot of community members will be inspired by your work. 

We also employed a storage tub system when we built a new storage room a couple of years back as part of our backyard games room project. I'll attach a photo below. (The tubs are all full now!)

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Workshop community. It's fantastic to have you join us. I look forward to reading about more of your projects and plans. Feel free to post whenever you need a hand or have something to share. 

Jason

Tub storage FTW.Tub storage FTW.

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Tara86
Amassing an Audience

Fantastic thanks Jason. Definitely will keep in mind - good to see so much variety with garage storage. My partner joked he wish I’d seen that first would’ve saved so much time ha ha 

Gaz
Growing in Experience

Hey Tara
i made myself a drop table it measures about 500 deep and about 600 mm wide and has fold down arms on side for my drop saw and put it on castors and works well
sorry would post a picture but not sure how to do it Thanks Jason for the feedback 

shed3.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Gaz,

I assume you used the quick reply box to reply to @Tara86 which is for text-only. If you hit the reply button instead you'll get access to the full editor and be able to add photos and videos.

Let me know if you have any trouble.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Gaz
Growing in Experience

thanks Jason

Tara86
Amassing an Audience

That looks fantastic @Gaz! Great idea with the fold down sides. The convenience of being able to store away afterwards is so handy! Love the actual size it opens up to. Would make it so versatile. 

I saw similar plans but didn’t feel confident I could make the arms stable and secure enough. How did you create the stability for the arms? Is there anything in particular that needs to be done or not do? 

Thanks again ☺️

Gaz
Growing in Experience

Hey @Tara86

i will take some photos of the arms to show you  how they sit and the arms are about 1 metre each but will take photos for you this weekend

gaz

Tara86
Amassing an Audience

Sorry @Gaz been caught up with a few family things! If it’s still okay are you able to take pics for me? Whenever you get a chance ☺️ Thanks heaps!

Gaz
Growing in Experience

So sorry for the delay had some family stuff to take care of but here are some photos and some measurements for youfold out armfold out armused piano hinges for fold up wing and for fold out armused piano hinges for fold up wing and for fold out armjust nailed some scrap plywood to the correct height to make wings leveljust nailed some scrap plywood to the correct height to make wings levelDrop saw Table fully extendedDrop saw Table fully extended

@Tara86 

sorry it took so long death in family 

the photo is of the large drop saw table 

have some rough measurements for you

Wings  850mm x 500mm x2

wing arms 500mm x 500mm x 2

Cabinet sides 900mm x 730 mm  x2

Shelves 600mm x 730mm  x 3

(1shelf is the floor of the unit and 1is for the top of unit and 1 for top of door  you can cut another shelf for inside the unit if required)

Back 1000m x900mm

Door 520mm x 615 mm

All measurements are rough

MitchellM
Amassing an Audience

@Jason Love the garage make-over, feel free to come make-over my shed! I went from renting a house with a double garage, 5m long work bench, over / under bench storage and peg board walls, to a house with a 3m x 2m shed. Almost makes me cry, all my tools are packed up, can't find anything, no where to work. 

Hopefully now i'm on workshop, it will inspire me to try and make a tiny shed work some how. I'm convinced it can, would be a damn impressive shed if I could!

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects