Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Ryobi Tools - Yes or No

Jeffersm963
Getting Established

Ryobi Tools - Yes or No

Hi,

I am a very competent DIYer and am going to be doing a carport conversion, framing walls and completely enclosing the carport which currently has a few open sides. I will also be creating rough openings for professionals to install doors.

I have been preparing and in doing so, have been watching many, many videos on the best way to do this.

In this research I have come across many videos of professionals saying not to use Ryobi tools as they are not accurate and not durable and various other reasons. These professionals are not sponsored by other tool companies.

I am just looking for input and will not take any pro or con thoughts as promoting Ryobi or vice-versa.

Your thoughts?

Thanks

Jeff

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Ryobi Tools - Yes or No

Hi @Jeffersm963,

Thank you for your question on Ryobi tools.

Having worked in both construction and hardware retail for a number of years, I have been able to use tools from a number of power tool brands including Ryobi, AEG, Makita, Dewalt, Hikoki and Paslode to name a few. Each brand, and each specific power tool has its pros and cons and their own devoted "fan base", whose opinions reflect their own personal needs and experiences. 

I believe a lot of the opinion on Ryobi power tools from trades professionals, comes down to the fact they are not their target market. Some of the negatives that professional trades people find with Ryobi tools are absolute positives for their intended target market.

Where trade professionals like to have all the bells and whistles and the ability to adjust the tool to any situation, the average D.I.Yer, who is new to the world of power tools may find this overwhelming and unnecessary. Ryobi tools are usually very light, simple to use and it's easy to learn all the functions. Depending on personal circumstances and opinions, all of these things can be considered either a pro or a con, it's all up to personal preference and opinion.

As this is a very opinion-based question, allow me to tag some of our helpful members for their thoughts @Dave-1, @Nailbag, @TedBear @Noyade

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Jeffersm963
Getting Established

Hi Jacob,

Many thanks for your knowledgeable and considered response. I agree with you 100% and it is interesting that you say about fine tuning, as that was one major thing.Thanks for tagging the others too.

I guess my main question is, will using Ryobi tools (circular saw, mitre saw, nail gun etc..) to frame walls and create rough openings, hang plaster board) create a quality product that will pass inspection (user error aside)

Thanks

Jeff

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Jeffersm963,

Ryobi tools are perfectly capable of producing anything that more "tradie facing" brands are capable of producing. As long as the correct method of construction is used, any tool can be used, power tools just make it easier. 

You might like to have a look at Ryobi's ONE+ HP range of tools. They are their top of the range power tools that are still compatible with all existing Ryobi batteries and are engineered to meet the demands of tougher, complex tasks that require more power. 

Let me know what you think.

Jacob

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good Evening @Jeffersm963 

Opinion hahhahah :smile: Whenever I ask that question at the round table of coffee at work there are seven opinons and only 6 people....

The answer I would have to say is yes you can. Tho I dont own any ryoboi tools :surprised:

I do have Ozito tools and Makita tools. I swear by both. I have used the old ozito to countersink all my holes for building a timber deck out of recyled hardwood and hardwood planks. I have also used the current style ozito torque drill and drill (both battery) to frame up my garage (check out my bookmarks if you want to see what they can do :smile: ), build a hardwood privacy screen and screw the slats in without any issue and they are still going strong. 

Ryobi, I havnt heard any bad reports and have looked at them in passing but mainly because the battery packs I have are ozito... Well I really dont want to go down the path of two sets :smile: Id say I am very Pro Ozito.

Dave

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

I am a fan of Ryobi tools for DIYers. They are pretty good for that level of work, but probably wouldn't deliver the long term reliability that a professional needs when using tools every day, all day. But professionals will pay dearly for that level of service and get a return by what they charge for a job. Most DIYers don't need to have a machine that's designed to work all day and it generally is a waste of money to buy them when a brand such as Ryobi will deliver the goods.  To me the comparison is like buying a Mack truck to fetch a household's weekly groceries. 

Noin
Getting Established

Nothing wrong with that brand, if your going down the battery operated route, make sure you’ve got enough larger capacity ones that’ll last longer, don’t over work them and they don’t seem to like being in the sunshine, if you keep them cool they go way better. Good luck with your project. 

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Afternoon Jeff @Jeffersm963 

Reading your opening post - are you saying you have Ryobi tools and are now concerned about seeing negative online feedback? Or you're considering Ryobi tools but concerned about the negative online feedback?

Cheers.

Hi Noyade,

I have many Ryobi tools and love them, but generally use them for small projects like hidden shelving, fixing plasterboard, sanding etc… nothing structural as yet.

Thanks

Jeff

Jeffersm963
Getting Established

Great advice. Many thanks. So One+ can be used with 36v batteries too?

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects