Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Thoughts on Ozito tools?

woodenwookie
Making a Splash

Thoughts on Ozito tools?

Hi all,

I'm sort of an intermediate amatuer woodworker and have been using a Black and Decker Matrix drill driver for a number of years. I recently purchased an Ozito Line Trimmer and Blower combo from Bunnings and then after purchasing that got the battery and charger pack with the 4.0mAh battery because the charger that comes with the kit was super slow. I really like this kit and it has done a stellar job of dismantling the weeds we've accumulated due to weather stopping us getting to them. 🤣😇

Due to my use of pocket holes in a number of projects and the fact that Little Woodie stole my Ozito Screwdriver I ended up getting the 18V Impact Driver Skin and I really like it.

My Matrix is getting a little long in the tooth and is still on the original batteries (over 6 years old now) but I've also built up quite a collection of heads for it and most get used often but I'm finding the drill to be a little under powered. So I'm thinking of getting the Brushless Hammer Drill skin to take the drilling load off. Is it a reasonable drill for the range it sits in? I'm finding that I needed to go to the hammer drill attachment in order to get cleaner pocket holes but they're still a bit manky and I noticed the Ozito one spins faster still so maybe that'll be cleaner still.

While I don't have much need for the hammer drill ability I find it has been needed to hang a couple of things in my workshop where one wall is concrete block.

I actually have a very real need to go cordless because currently I'm running a 25m extension lead to my workshop to get power into it (long story but my wife decided the sleepout was going to be her office which incidentally has just ended up being the junk room). I like the Ozito stuff and while the higher end brands would be nice frankly I can neither afford them nor can I use them to their fullest (in fact the drills from say Milwaukee and DeWalt actually kind of hurt my wrist which was damaged in a motorcycle crash a few years ago).

I know these questions get asked all the time and they are relative but I'd like to hear how others get on. So far for me the use has been positive but I just need a little reassurance that the investment will be worth it.

Thanks folks.

Sambro
Growing in Experience

Re: Thoughts on Ozito tools?

I bought the pack (ozito) with the screw driver skin and the drill, came with two batteries and a fast charger. then got a second hand recipro saw which actually gets thrashed in the yard cutting back the trees etc. got a blower which is light and goes alright. and a sander with the pointed head on it and a dual usb charger attachment. all work well. A mate and I pulled apart a shed with the drills in the pouring rain the other day, worked well. built some shelves and other items around the house with them and theyve done the work well.
The ryobi tool range is greater then the ozito range, a little dearer then the ozito stuff. Pales in comparison to the red milwaulkee stuff though, however one drill skin would be about the same price as all of the stuff I have in ozito.

Thanks for the tip about the right handed nature of the saw. My B&D saw is also righhanded but I’m tempted to go to the Ozito because the B&D annoys me that it’s not big enough to cut through a piece of 4x2 as it only has a 35mm cut. That being said though if I need to cut anything thicker than 20mm ply I can use my Ozito Compound Mitre Slide Saw or my Ozito table saw.

Given the size of my shed I'm very tempted to forgoe the table saw in favour of a plunge saw or a Kreg Accu-Cut. I have the Kreg RipCut which is a great unit but the Accu-Cut will give me a straighter cut over a longer distance as would a plunge saw. For the money the Accu-Cut XL works out to be cheaper than a the Kreg plunge saw and well cheaper than the Festool although the Ozito Plunge Saw with the Expansion kit is basically $2(NZ) less. However only the Accu-Cut option gives me the ability to go cordless because it's designed to use any circ saw.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for joining in the discussion @Sambro. Great to see you make your first Workshop post. Welcome to the community. 

It sounds like you have some great skills and experience to share. We look forward to reading all about your projects and plans. Feel free to post anytime you have something to share or need a hand. We have loads of members sharing helpful advice and inspiration. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Former Workshop member
Not applicable

Understood that this is a little of an old discussion but I cannot help but put my two cents down...
I have a cordless 18v AEG impact driver, drill, circular saw and corded AEG jigsaw and angle grinder. I also have an Ozito mitre saw, sliding mitre saw, router, planer and both 12 and 20 litre vacuum cleaners. I was also given (free) an older and smaller Ozito mitre saw and sliding mitre saw...they both just needed some TLC and some adjustment to square.
Obviously talking quite different price points between Ozito and AEG! However from my Ozito range I am on my second router (I absolutely abused the first one so I was OK with it kicking the bucket!); but all the rest are going strong and fine. They do not get daily heavy usage; but they certainly get used...

AEG on the other hand...I think you could buy nearly all the Ozito tools I have for the price of the circular saw and a 5Ah battery...and I just about frisbee'd it down the street because the blade came out of square as I was doing a crucial cut through a 32mm MDF board. I won't go into the animated back and forth with AEG...
However my two cents says I would buy all the Ozito tools I have over any other brand (with the exception of the router; and even then that is only because it is underpowered and doesn't have a 1/2 inch collet).
All the AEG tools I have I would buy decent brands (not Ozito). Each to their own - I am just a weekend warrior handyman and this is just my humble opinion! - but I am switching to DeWalt for those. I love my AEG dishwasher; credit where it's due.
Main point: Ozito are great! Love them. Whenever I see someone scoffing about their Dyson vacuun cleaner I think about how I could buy a dozen Ozito vacuums and a VERY NICE bottle of single malt for that money :wink:

Peace

SamanthaJ
Getting Established

@woodenwookiemy thought on Ozito tools is they are good for small jobs around the home. You get what you pay for I suppose. Unfortunately this is a new attitude toward the brand. The reason for this is due to my whipper snipper/edger suddenly dying after only owning it for 23 months. So for now I can't afford to purchase a new one, I am trimming my lawn edges with scissors. But hey, it happens.... sometimes

Hi @SamanthaJ - Ozito tools have a 3 year replacement warranty for domestic use. Take it back, with the receipt if you still have it, cheers Deb :smile:

3lud13
Finding My Feet

I think it really does depend how much you use them, I have had many ozito tools and have been pleasantly surprised with many though also dissapointed with some as well.
My biggest dissapointment was when my dremel which I had for many years (maybe close to ten) died halfway through doing something can't remember what now didnt have spare money to purchase another dremel so got the ozito brand option and within 24 hours was returning it as had destroyed flexible hose attatchment which is a must have in my opinion for a rotary tool. My biggest surprise with ozito tools was certainly the petrol chainsaw have had a couple of them and put them through hell from getting thrown around in back of 4wd and trailer out collecting wood to spending 6+hours straight at home cutting up wood and never had an issue with them.
Also have a handful of other ozito corded tools but they are usually not used too often and I chose ozito for price point as they are handy tools to have but I dont require them often enough to justify the higher cost of other brands, as for cordless tools I have the ryobi range which when I was looking at cordless options were quite similiar priced to ozito but had a larger range of options. cordless tools however are also one of those things once you make your desision you have to live with it or pay a fortune to start again with a different brand. Sure there are at times I wish I had makita milwaulki or dewalt cordless tools as they have a tool option that ryobi doesnt have but given the price of ryobi tools and the range they have they certainly do me more than adequately. As for the current prices or range of ozito tools I can't really comment on them except for the fact I have a friend who has them and is quite happy with them and serve his purposes though he does get annoyed at times generally with me if I bring out a tool that isnt available in the ozito range and it gets the job done in a fraction of the time it would have taken him using his tools.
Sambro
Growing in Experience

I cut up a washing machine with my recipro saw today, plus some other trees needed a prune. I wonder how much this blade that came with it will do? Ozito
Former Workshop member
Not applicable

My two cents on this old post...
I am by no means a prolific diy-er, but have managed to blow both ozito and black and decker motors on several tools (after the warranty periods, lol) like angle grinders, drills, routers etc.
Since I switched to Ryobi, no problems.
My mum has the Ozito electric mower and whipper snipper which are a joy to use... but I've blown the power tools.
My advice is save up and buy Ryobi when on sale. In these days of lacklustre quality control, you are liable to get a dud in any brand (off the Friday afternoon shift at the assembly line) , however some are more generally reliable than others.
If I were more serious and had an actual PROPPAH workshop, I'd blow all my money on the best of the best. For what the OP was talking about - Ryobi.
*Now salivates over thought of having a real workshop with a lathe, even.*

With any tool I strongly recommend you register and fill out the online warranty form. This covers you for claims and what not when it comes to tools. The ozito brushless range is pretty good at the price point where its standing. For occasional and moderate use it should provide adequate service. But if your thinking of the highend tools perhaps you might consider zip/after pay to bridge the gap and purchase the tool you've always wanted.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects