Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Borer in large Jacaranda tree

Graam
Finding My Feet

Borer in large Jacaranda tree

Hi. I have a large jacaranda tree in my back yard in Chatswood. Borer has infested into the timber at a section where, a number of years ago, a large branch has been removed. The borer has penetrated 30cm into the section and has chewed out a large hole which I have covered with a mesh material to stop other insects nesting there e.g. maybe a good spot for a beehive? I cannot cut any more of the branch. The circumference of the hole looks healthy, the inner section has been chewed. I have used a stiff piece of wire to stab into the hole but maybe will need to put some sort of poison to penetrate and kill the beetles. 

Any recommendations or do I need a tree doctor?

Thanks

Graham

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Borer in large Jacaranda tree

Hello @Graam

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about tree borers.

I suggest having a quick look at these discussions - Tree borers by @swanny and How to treat lemon and orange tree borers? by @bruno57. Since you are already using a skewer our plant guru @Adam_W has suggested spraying the hole with Pyrethrum Insect Spray. Turn the nozzle to the stream setting, not the spray and then flood the hole with the insecticide. The other suggestion was to put a few drops of methylated spirits in the hole and plug it up with timber sealer. 

If the treatment with pyrethrum is successful there should be no need to call in the tree doctor. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Graam
Finding My Feet

Thanks for the suggestions Pyrethrum applied! Any ideas as to how to fill the hole? I guess I'll do a few applications and wire prodding first? Poor 🌳 tree. I nearly poured in metho and set it alight but contacted the forum before being too radical.

Thanks 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Graam

Once you've determined that all the borers have crawled out I suggest using ordinary exterior timber filler to cover the hole.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Graam
Finding My Feet

Thanks Eric. Knowing if they have all gone will  be the challenge! 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects