Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Drainage around boulders and side of house

Glyph
Getting Established

Drainage around boulders and side of house

Hello all, I am hoping to get some advice from some drainage masters.

I have a split level home on a steep block. On the east side, where the house steps down, we have a brick retaining wall behind our carport, and some large boulders. Water from the upper carport/garden bed often flows down the boulders and along the side of the house and against the bedroom wall where we have a couple of vents. Puddles of water are often sitting at the bottom of the boulders and leaving the soil/gravel right next to our house wet. This has all been compounded by our neighbours new concrete fence which is acting as a giant moisture barrier, trapping things on our side.

We have had an agi-drain installed along the fence, however it doesn't go up past the boulders. I have laid large slate pavers and gravel to keep the side area reasonably permeable but the issues is the far corner. I am seeking some guidance on the best way to address this.

- Do I add another agi-drain right along the house, to prevent water running close to the walls/vents.

- Do I add an agi-drain along the boulders, so water that runs down these gets absorbed?

- Do I just try to improve the fall of the ground around the boulders, to help guide the water further down?

I would appreciate any guidance.

Side of houseSide of houseBoulders and problem area on rightBoulders and problem area on right

Re: Drainage around boulders and side of house

To answer the question about how the waterproofer looks, I used the product @MitchellMc recommended too... rain poured down from the roof and seeped through the single brick there. Here is a pic of the effect. The coating stops at the window edge... a slight sheen. The eaves in the pic end just to the right, so rain hits the wall there (& also goes into the stoney drain).

IMG_20210615_142158.jpg

Glyph
Getting Established

Re: Drainage around boulders and side of house

Thanks @TedBear that looks discrete. I think I'll get some and cover the brick retaining wall and some of the side walls. They all get a lot of splashing of rain off the boulders.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects