Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Herbs indoors in Mason Jars

Marzmaldonado
Growing in Experience

Herbs indoors in Mason Jars

Hi gang,

I'm looking at grow a few herbs indoors in mason jars.

Any recommendations.....
What i can grow indoors?
What I need to help grow??
How to grow???

Thanks in advanced.
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Herbs indoors in Mason Jars

Hi @Marzmaldonado,

This is a good topic. I'm sure there are many people who are also interested in growing herbs indoors. 

I've found most popular herbs will grow well indoors. You just need plenty of natural bright light (but not full sun). You'll also need a pot that drains well so the roots don't rot, and to use high quality organic potting mix.  You might also like to start with full plants if you can rather than growing from seeds or seedlings.  

Hopefully others in the community can share their experiences and advice with you.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
CathD
Making a Splash

Most herbs will grow indoors with a little TLC. Some of the easiest are mint, chives, coriander, parsley and basil. Just grow whatever you like to eat. But I don't think you will have much luck growing them in jars. You need a pot that drains. They can easily be killed by too much water. Typically you water them in the sink when watering, then put them back when all the water has drained through the pot rather than sitting them in a saucer of water. 

Have you got a good spot in mind? Herbs need sunlight, so somewhere near a window is good. 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Marzmaldonado,

Hope all is well. 

Just wondering whether you have got your indoor herb garden up and running as yet. Feel free to post again if you need a hand.

Jason 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Marzmaldonado
Growing in Experience

Thank you for the reply and helpful hint. 

Marzmaldonado
Growing in Experience

Thank you for the reply. I didn't take into consideration that they need draining or natural sunlight. So I may have to re think my position for them now. 

Have a look at my post, just uploaded How to garden indoors. the method should work for herbs, little ones in little cups, big ones in big bowls.just dont forget the charcoal in the bottom. no need to worry about draining. Good ;luck.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects