Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to cover power cord so I don't cut it when using riding mower?

Steve5
Having an Impact

How to cover power cord so I don't cut it when using riding mower?

I've got about 20m of heavy extension lead crossing a section of the lawn that I'd like to cover so I don't catch it with the riding mower blades.  

I've looked at cable ramps and cable protectors but 20m gets expensive.

I've thought about using ceiling battons screwed together with weed map pins to hold it down.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How do i cover power cord so I don't cut it when using riding mower

Hi @Steve5 

Very simple @Steve5  just use a  shovel and  make a 30-40 mm deep slot (a slot no digging) in your lawn and push the  cable into it so it is below ground level all the way.  No rules governing the use of  extention cords you can even have one drapped into a pool.

Simple  close the slit with your foot grass  will be as 100% normal

The heavy cable plastic will last for 10 to 20 years as the wires are also double insulated .

You will only need to protect the bit going into the ground at the start and finish of  where the cable enters the ground  Make some sort of shroud around the cable or over it as I am sure  you will need  to stop  a whipper  snipper  whipping and  tangling with the cable too. If the cable enters the ground across a  cement path  look for the cement expansion strip you might be able to press the  cable into that groove Then tape over it cloth tape or  plastic cable  lid cover. etc or put a cover on it  of any description the idea is not to trip on it.

Another Plan is to use 90mm storm water pipe and dig that under the ground or  path it is big enough to feed power plug through it with out removing plug. us a few 15 degree bends  (not 45)  to allow easier cord feeding around corners.

Good luck  have fun.

Ps plant bulbs  along the  power cable  . What wattage  bulbs you use is up to you.  (sorry thats  a  furfy)

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Further to @Jewelleryrescue 's reply, I'd suggest also plugging the cord in via a portable RCD device such as

https://www.jaycar.com.au/single-rcd-safety-switch-outlet/p/MS4013   so that it will trip if the cord becomes compromised at any time, since you won't be able to see it once buried.    (Couldn't find one at Bunnings.)

Hi @TedBear 

Thank you for  raising that point for 

@Steve5  just in case he needs one.

All  new homes  for a  long while have had RCDs  installed either a  single RCD  or these days they have  gone mad and they put them every power circuit  they are built into the breakers so you know which circiut popped  seriously  take all the fun out of  running around the house turning power switches off and flipping RCD switch .  I how ever dont know if homes had to be  retro fitted across  Australia which  means unprotected people in older homes. A new bought RCD will be the only one in the house on that corded line.

But no harm  putting another on that outlet the chances are  the local and house RCD will trip together but some  one re digging the lawn forgets  there will be no hair raising moments.

Bunning  stock about 4  types of RCD  they   call them saftey switches.   one of them is 

Arlec Single Outlet Safety Switch I/N: 7050029 $33.56

This is a replacement house breaker 

DETA 40A Residual Current Operated Circuit Breaker Without Integral Overcurrent Protection I/N: 4430660  $32.58

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Steve5 

Get another extension  lead  and go around the lawn area at need  lift cable up out off the  path ways  use a bit of rope  attached to a tree but try  keep it neat  and safe  is the aim.

Thanks for all the idea!

Hi @Steve5,

first off, can you explain why the extension cord is lying across the lawn?

If this is a permanent placement you would need to dig a trench, as @Jewelleryrescue suggested, however, there are a few rules and regulations to observe:

• You are required to place the cable into a conduit (20 or 25mm depending on the diameter of your cable) along the entire length that sits underground.
  • You need to place this conduit at least 500mm below ground and ideally add a plastic warning tape half way between the conduit and the surface. Reference for NSW (see point 2.4.1.2), other states will be similar.

These two points are important for security and safety (and compliance with Australian standards).

Personally, I would also draw a schematic of your garden and where the cable goes. This is not only helpful for an older you, but also for the next owner of the property.

Lastly, RCDs do save lives, so I totally would secure all circuits with one. Especially if you consider that your outside cable could still be damaged in some way.

Hi  @Steve5 

Use a RCD if your house do not have one fitted at the switch board.   So I think rerouting  the cable is a better idea around your lawn if you can so you can use your lawn mower at ease..  If hidden for a  period of time shallow dug cable it can mistakenly  be cut it as @TedBear  says it is out of sight and that true I thank Tedbear for bringing that up. 

Seek a  better route if you can. (RCD will trip in less than 20mS and no danger if it is cut and shorted).  Garden power point 90mm Storm water pipe will fit a 3 pin power plug through and can make a good all round garden  shroud  against whipper snippers in use etc. This also is extra protection for garden external weather proof power points conducts  coming out of the ground.

FYI All Extension cords  and power boards have no regulations once it comes out the power point it is at the users solo discretion. .  Not all people can afford  or need permanent  installed power points power cables so they use Extension cords..   All new houses have RCD at the switch boards,1 more down the line is users choice on the power outlet side. Many thousands house holds run power to their shed and  caravans as semi permanent  installations in all manner  of routes via a  extension lead/s that is  real life an all totally legal and within the rules.

VS

Permanent under ground  power on the  circuit board side of the power point does have  rules and must be installed by licensed  electrician so those rules are followed.  

I always thought the last time I read the  Electrical specifications it was  600mm min for power underground in NSW, no I have it  the regs are 500mm But I always ensure 600mm as dirt some time falls back into the hole on my jobs sites.   It is 300mm  deep under 75mm  reo concrete you guessed it I ensure  400mm.. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to cover power cord so I don't cut it when using riding mower?

Hi @Steve5

It's fantastic that you've received excellent advice from @TedBear@Jewelleryrescue and @TheHandySqirrel. From a safety standpoint, I suggest finding an alternative path for your extension cord. It gives you peace of mind knowing that it is safe to run your mower over your garden without tangling anything up. You don't have to worry if it's frayed, degraded or flooded because you can see its condition when it is installed above. You can still use a conduit to protect it from the weather and I totally agree with using an RCD device to protect you from electrical shocks. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to cover power cord so I don't cut it when using riding mower?

Hi @Steve5 

"I've got about 20m of heavy extension lead crossing a section of the lawn"

Is this one of the three twenty metre leads you mentioned in your thread here?

https://www.workshop.bunnings.com.au/t5/Outdoor/Ampfibian-X1-Weatherproof-Connector-Protector/m-p/13...

I thought Bunnings and electrical wholesalers sold electrical lead by the metre? Less expensive? And then no need for waterproof connection boxes?

Just a thought.

Cheers.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects