Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace Masport lawn mower blade?

Sath
Growing in Experience

How to replace Masport lawn mower blade?

Seeking help to see where I could get a replacement for masport 490 mower blade fitting which has come off. Should I replace the whole cover or only the nuts that hold it ? Not sure about the part name 😊. See attached pics .

IMG_3566.jpeg

IMG_3565.jpeg

IMG_3564.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: mower repair

Hi @Sath,

I'm just taking a look at the expanded diagram for the disc on a Quadcut blade system (I'll include it below), and it appears that it's just the central bolt that holds the disc on. Oddly enough, it doesn't appear that those two outer holes had bolts to begin with. Given that the bolt is still in the driveshaft I can only imagine that it has sheared off a section of the disc, allowing its head and washer to pass through the centre. If this is the case, I suspect that the mower requires a whole new disc assembly. 

The mower doesn't look particularly old. If it's still under warranty, I suggest you return to the place of purchase with your receipt to have it assessed to see if this is covered under warranty.

Just as a little PSA, you shouldn't turn a 4-stroke mower over on its sides or forward; it should always be tilted backward towards the handles. Any other way, and you'll fill items like the air filter or muffler up with oil. In your case, you've tipped it over on the muffler side, so next time you start it up I'd expect to see a ton of white smoke pour out of the muffler for five minutes until the oil is burnt off. It should clear itself out and be fine, though.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Sath
Growing in Experience

Hi Mitchell 

Many thanks for your reply.

The mower is 11 years old , have taken care of it 😊 . Yes I should not have turned it on it’s side. 

I am tossing between getting the parts and doing it myself or taking it to a service place. Any thoughts on the complexity? I bought this from bunnings. Depending on the costs, may be a new one. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

The process of changing the disc is not particularly complex @Sath

First, you'd disconnected the sparkplug lead to ensure no accidental startups. Next, take a brick or lump of timber and rotate the remaining blade so it wedges against it and the sidewall of the mower. You basically want to jamb the blade in position. Once the drive shaft and blade are wedged in position, you can undo the central bolt and install the new disc. The reason for wedging the central drive shaft and the blade is that otherwise, they'll spin when you try to undo the central bolt.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Good morning @MitchellMc and @Sath 

"Oddly enough, it doesn't appear that those two outer holes had bolts to begin"

That's what I thought as well Mitch - then I had a look at this video which to my eyes show two 'proud' oval rings in the metal pressing which are meant to be passed through the various discs.

To me, Sath has lost the lower plate completely (seen in Mitch's schematic), then the main plate has worn through around the bolt, plus the 'proud' sections have been sheared off.

Was there a point in the mower's life Sath - when it didn't seem to be cutting effectively?

Capture.PNG

Clipboard01.jpg

Or is it a completely different model and fittings?

Seen here...

Sath
Growing in Experience

@MitchellMcwhere do i buy this? I cant seem to find this whole assembly

@NoyadeWow yeah i see what you mean. No havent seen any major piece falloff :), esp the cone nor realised a reduction in effectiveness.

Worth taking this to a lawn repair place?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Sath 

Thanks for sharing your question about the spare part for your mower. The spare part will probably need to be order at the special orders desk. Please make sure to take a photo of not just the mower, but its I.D. tag as well even if it looks like it's a bit faded.

Let me tag @MitchellMc just in case he has more information to share.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects