Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

New ideas wanted for Summer DIY projects

Oldfart
Having an Impact

New ideas wanted for Summer DIY projects

Hi everyone,

I've been doing the DIY workshops at a large Bunnings complex for several years now and am looking for some new ideas for the "Project Advice" part of the day.

This session lasts for about 40 minutes, so I need some ideas for fast easy to do projects to show and involve my enthusiastic,  budding DIY customers. It's OK if the project needs to be split over two or three days.

I'm open to all ideas and look forward  to your suggestions. 

Thanks.

Trying
Making a Splash

Re: New ideas wanted for Summer DIY projects

Hi @Oldfart. This is not exactly a suggestion, but sometimes beginners don't want to risk embarassment asking what may be regarded as silly questions. Sometimes I've wished to have the different types of screws and their uses explained to me. And the names of the various tools and materials required for a project. How many times have workshoppers asked for the name of some gadget or item. I'm guilty ! And what do you call that gadget that has a little wheel like a pizza cutter and is used to push in the rubber ribbon or cut the netting material of a flyscreen? Some of us ladies would like to know lots of things,but haven't had the opportunity. For the kids projects, try a bit of rock painting. Small eyes and mouths,maybe a hat. Kids love that and they take them home-good Christmas presents for Nanna or their siblings ?? Just saying.....Cheers

Annette
Making a Splash

@Oldfart - I totally agree with @Trying about a session on different hardware items, tools and their uses. Just recently I needed saddle clips or clamps but at the time I did not know what they were called (I later learnt the correct name from @Brad and @Andy_Mann) so I tried to "air draw" it with my fingers which just confused the staff member more so I then drew a diagram of what I wanted before he knew what I was talking about. Perhaps you can have a "mystery object" session like they had on the ABC TV show "Collectors" where DIY customers have to try and guess what the item is and it's use. I know there are many obscure items in-store that could fit the bill. It could be a nice ice-breaker and get the customers to interact with you and each other. I bet there could also be some funny answers  :cheeky:

Annette
Making a Splash

@Oldfart Here are a few simple ideas for your DIY workshops. At least I think they are simple  :cheeky:

Good Luck with it........

Bookshelf.jpg  Modular Bookshelf.jpg

Crayon Holder.jpg  Stationary Caddy.jpg

Fruit Stand.jpg  Hanging Planter Box.jpg

Shoe Rack.jpg  Tape Dispenser.jpg

Tea Light Holder.jpg  Wine Bottle Holder.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects