Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Protecting plants from frost

Isobel
Amassing an Audience

Protecting plants from frost

Today was the first morning I've had a bit of ice on the car windscreen. Winter is clearly here. Just wondering if people could share any tips for protecting precious plants from frost? What do you do to look after them?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Protecting plants from frost

It's never too late to join in a discussion @Janina_G. Thanks for sharing your tips. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
SarahC4
Cultivating a Following

Sugar cane mulch and frost cloths are are great way to protect vulnerable plants from frost. Sugar cane mulch can also help to prevent weeds and retain moisture in the soil during summer 🙂

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings.
Please visit the Bunnings website
if you need assistance from the Bunnings customer service team.

I've mentioned before that having plants that aren't frost tollerant is allot of hard work but if you're prepared to go the extra mile to protect them then power to those keen gardeners. I seem to be one of them at present, trying to keep a cactus safe from frost!!

I have lost lots of plants to frost I suspect but more so to water logged soil so I have realized after many years of spending big money at times that some plants just won't cut it here where I live in the south west of vic.

I don't grow much in the way of vegies, except for corn that is very successful and butter beans that are a complete disaster and have been for two years in a row now, they come up to two leaf stage, perhaps a little further and then suddenly shrivel up and die, not to be deterred I'll try again this spring.

As for frost sensitive plants, I'm now nursing a san pedro cactus, totally out of place here but I just love my cacti anyway, it's being kept safe with an old zip up sleeping bag that has that shiny sort of waterproof type fabric and in the mornings after a decent frost, the material is stiff and frozen but the cactus tips are totally protected. Not sure what I'll do once it gets over 2mts tall, I'll need to climb a ladder to cover it ha-ha

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects