Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Your tips for keeping possums away

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Your tips for keeping possums away

Brushtail_possum_exudative_dermatitis.jpg

Possums are adorable when they are climbing trees and dashing across electrical wires. But it can be frustrating when they are munching on your home-grown fruit and vegetables or keeping you up at night by dancing on the roof.

Fortunately, I'm sure the Workshop community can come to the rescue of anyone struggling with neighbourhood possums. 

What are your tips for keeping possums out of your garden or away from your house?

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Your tips for keeping possums away

Yay

i have stray cats trying to get to my doves and chooks

this looks great 

RGF
Just Starting Out

Re: Your tips for keeping possums away

We used to have a blood plum tree in our backyard. Possums must have a sixth sense because on the very morning when I went out to start harvesting  some, the possums had eaten every plum! No mean effort as there were at least 150 to 200 plums on the tree. The following year I employed about ten packs of naphthalene flakes in small plastic containers around the tree which was again straining under the weight of an abundance of fruit.

I'm pleased  to report that it worked a treat. We didn't lose one plum and they were delightful to eat without any hint of contamination.

We have since planted two passion fruit vines and they are already carrying significant quantities of green fruit. It's my intention to again employ the flakes as a deterrent. Bunnings used to sell them for $2.00 a pack so they're inexpensive and an excellent deterrent.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects