Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to restore a kitchen stool?

Leahanne
Growing in Experience

How to restore a kitchen stool?

This is my dearly departed grandmother's kitchen stool. She passed away 17 years ago and since then  my mother has had the stool outside. Mum is down sizing so she gave it to me. I want to restore it but I have no idea how to do that. Can anybody help with some ideas please ?Nan's chairNan's chairrust holesrust holesmore rust  holesmore rust holes

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: I want to fix my grandmother's kitchen stool.

Hi @Leahanne,

The tubular steel is in the advanced stages of disintegration and is structurally compromised. Even if you were able to stop its progression by applying rust converter, there doesn't appear to be enough steel left in the rear back support for the chair to function safely. You could tidy the chair up, sand back any rusty sections, and apply a fresh coat of paint. Though, I'd recommend it's only used as an ornamental piece from now on, as it's really too far gone to save.

The only option I can see for a full restoration would be to cut off the top tubular seat ring and replace it with a new one. However, this would require you to be able to roll the tube into a circle and weld it back into position.

Let me mention one of our knowledgeable members @TedBear, to see if they have any thoughts.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to restore a kitchen stool?

Hi @Leahanne ,

I agree with @MitchellMc  on this unfortunately, due to the rusted out section that the back is attached to. 

If you restore it as an ornamental piece I suggest filling the large gaps with a builder's bog, which can be sanded smooth to match up with the surrounding casing. After painting you won't see it.  But use the rust converter first to prevent ongoing decay.

Otherwise I'd suggest taking it to a welder (or try a Men's Shed, if there's one around) to see what they'd charge to replace the main seat supporting ring, including drilling the holes for back supports. That would give you the best outcome. 

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Afternoon @Leahanne 

I feel for you, I really do. I have a breakfast bar stool that belonged to my parents back in the day when kitchen laminex was bright orange and doors dark brown which I have rejuvenated - more for nostalgia than anything.

A Men's Shed (a good suggestion) or someone with some metalwork experience could save the seat - and make it practical, but I would make it square with 50mm X 20mm rectangular steel (preferably not galvanised) with mitred joins to hide the internal spaces. Re-weld the legs and back into place. Thick plywood, foam, vinyl and staples would make the new seat.

This would not make your grandmother's stool as new - but it would be usable and something to remember her by.

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good afternoon @Leahanne 

Thats a nice stool to bring back if you can. I have brought back tubular seats before that only had surface rust, re-upholstering the seats.

I really like @TedBear's idea and also @Noyade's about a local mens shed to replace those rusted tubular rings if possible. It may be problomatic as tubes are generally thin and therefore harder to reweld. No harm in asking tho.

Going through the pictures again I dont think the rings would be able to be replaced 😕 But rust converter and removal of the rust followed by timber bog into the tube (which hardens harder then timber) and if you added more cross structual support under the seat to the ring would make it usable without changing the overall look. Id still go to a local mens shed as they may have a welding person and are sure to have ideas also.

Hope to see it brought back :smile: even if its ornamental :smile: 

Dave

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

"I have brought back tubular seats before that only had surface rust"

I would never make a furniture restorer @Dave-1, but I did keep one breakfast/bar stool from my parents (circa 1975). They originally swiveled 360 degrees but my father hated us doing that. I asked him one day why the stools no longer swiveled and he replied "I fixed them the way they should be!"

I guess as a survivor of the depression and WW2 - he saw swiveling as a decadent non-productive past-time.

Years later I figured out how he stopped the decadency - he simply moved the tubular steel frame (back support), further back - which inhibited the swivel plate.

Clever man. I did a poor job with the new woodwork and new foam. Stapling was bad too.

20230808_135655.jpg

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

I think if you punched out those 4 heavily rusted screws, the top part of the chair frame would come away completely - and we could then see the condition of the leg framework metal cross section.

Capture.PNG

Leahanne
Growing in Experience

Hi. I took the chair to the Men's Shed. They are going to restore it for me.  I had a thought last night of throwing it to the tip & buy  new one. I woke up this morning with a change of mind. It's sentimental to me. When it's finished, I will post a photo for everyone to see. Thank you all for your suggestions. Take care xx

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Leahanne 

That's great news, I'm glad you persevered in having it repaired. We look forward to seeing the kitchen stool once its repaired.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Leahanne
Growing in Experience

Hi everyone. Just an update on the restoration on the kitchen stool. I contacted The Men's Shed. They have done an amazing job. When I seen the finished result, I had tears. I do have to paint it. I will post photos when it's done... Here are a few photos of the restore so far. 379672176_838834764635470_3721936021295926551_n.jpg380050953_1454880911911271_1198993975808033965_n.jpg380107829_1048733526125116_8157900579709005555_n.jpg380197413_1031028911644957_4185563616354458379_n.jpg380465799_874510654060608_3855393962912314733_n.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects