Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a Murphy wall bed - horizontal

041461Tk
Finding My Feet

How to build a Murphy wall bed - horizontal

I like to build a Murphy wall bed- horizontal Queen size ; with proper spring loaded hinges 

and casings ! 

if Bunnings would sell me me one pair ….?! 
If not …. then , without .
Preferably with templates….! 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build a Murphy wall bed - horizontal

Hello @041461Tk

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about making a murphy bed.

Building a Murphy bed is an excellent way to maximize the space available in a room. I suggest having a look at this discussion - Wardrobe cubby house by @woodalwaysworks. You can also check out Brad's recommendation on plans. 

Unfortunately, the store does not carry a murphy bed kit. I'm sure you'll be able to find one with a quick look at google. There are quite a few things to consider if your building this bed from scratch. They will include material weight, fitting and construction, anchoring point, and the type of hardware to make everything work. 

Let me tag our experienced members @JDE, @Brad and @TedBear for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank You for responding EricL

im not sure where to go , or , who to talk to?

also … Bunnings , doesn’t carry any hinges,which can be used for wall bed ….!? 
blast ….

03D1728D-CB09-4972-8B74-2B84FC8EC132.jpeg

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @041461Tk ,

Perhaps you could try Wall Beds Australia for a bed kit. You will need to build the timber framework yourself, but it sounds like you intend to anyway:-

https://www.wallbedsaustralia.com.au/index.php/shop/product/35-diy-wall-bed-hardware-kit

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

We're really keen to assist you with your project @041461Tk. Please let us know when you purchase your hinge set, and we can work on a design for your frame together.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

041461Tk
Finding My Feet

Murphy wall bed with hinges

5B2C48A0-7991-4EEE-9769-24BB563147F1.jpeg

566FE958-355A-4F26-9C27-07923418409E.png

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Murphy wall bed with hinges

Hello @041461Tk

Have you purchased the hinge set already? If you have, please have a look if it came with installation instructions. The instructions usually tell what type of bed size/weight it supports. A single, double, queen or king-size bed are the most common choice. Once you've identified which bed it supports you can begin making sketches as to how you want the Murphy bed to look. As I've mentioned earlier, bed size will be dictated by the weight the hinge supports.

For example, a typical queen size bed is generally 1500mm x 2000mm. If that's the size you're building to then the rest of the cabinetry will be based on those measurements. Was there a particular look you were going for? Please keep in mind that the cabinet will need to be anchored to the floor and wall for safety. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Yes , I’m ready to proceed ….however ,

I don’t have those spring loaded hinges,

with nine springs each side , but , if you

know , where to find them ? Maybe we can start ….! As the queen size bed is constant ; the horizontal bed is constant,

just the additional attachments / Addison’s ; and the bed height is slightly different ….

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @041461Tk

I believe that kit is from overseas and can only be purchased along with the bed kit. Unfortunately, I've not seen that type of spring assembly locally. I've done a quick search on google under "Murphy Bed Australia" There are a number of suppliers, but I'm afraid they don't sell the hinges by themselves only complete kit sets. 

Have you considered other alternatives such as a sofa bed? Perhaps a bottom pullout bed? That would be easier to put together. Plus it is also more affordable and will not require complex mounting systems.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

To EricL 

correct ! They will not sell those blimey hinges , if you not buying the whole bed .

HENCE 

Do I need to buy a whole cow…. when I need two litres of milk ….?! 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects