Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build an indoor monkey bar?

JohnC5
Growing in Experience

How to build an indoor monkey bar?

Hello All, 

I am looking for ideas on Indoor Monkey Bar for my special needs child.... something like this , I am happy to learn, got few tools at home :smile: are there any workshops I can attend?

Thank you in advance.

Snip20210626_8.png

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Indoor Monkey bar

Hello @JohnC5,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining us and sharing your question about Indoor monkey bars.

The photo of the monkey bar set you posted is actually quite achievable. If you can provide measurements of the area where the monkey bar set will go I can draw you up some basic plans. I've attached some pictures to give you an idea of how the monkey bar set might be assembled. I recommend drawing a basic plan on paper especially if you have a particular look in mind for the set.

Please note that the measurements I've placed are for reference only, please adjust them to your needs. Due to the current restrictions, stores might not have any D.I.Y. classes going. Please check with your local branch for more information. 

Please keep us updated I look forward to seeing your plans.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JohnC5
Growing in Experience

Dear @EricL  

Thanks a lot for picking my request and providing some very good info to start. Could you also help me with the type of wooden post(4) and 2 horizontal bars, i need to buy from bunnings if it has to be sturdy? 

thanks a lot

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @JohnC5,

It's good to hear you're moving forward with your project. I suggest using Pine Untreated Non-Structural 70 x 35 x 2400, please call your local store to make sure they have it in stock. If you decide to use bigger timber just make sure that they are untreated and safe to use indoors.

I recommend using Brasshards 20 x 600mm Galvanised Pipe for the bars. You can use wider ones but you will need to adjust the width of the framing of the monkey bar. You can lock the bar in place using Brasshards 20mm Galvanised End Cap. That will prevent the bar from sliding out while being used. Make sure to wash the bar in soap and water to remove any oil and grease residue. 

Here is another sample of play equipment you might find useful protecting outdoor play equipment by @kforyourtime

Please keep us updated, we would love to see some photos when you start your project.

Eric 

JohnC5
Growing in Experience

Dear @EricL 

Good Info! appreciate your quick response. I did had a look at the 'Pine Untreated Non-Structural 70 x 35 x 2400' at Bunnings, if I need to make a stronger one which untreated bigger timber would you suggest from Bunnings? Also, I am not sure, does Bunnings offer wood cutting services? 

Thanks a lot again for your help.

Regards

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @JohnC5

If you wish to use the next size of timber you can use 90 x 45mm MGP10 Untreated Pine Timber Framing. Please make sure to call your local store to make sure that the item is in stock. Please note that the cut shop will only do straight cuts and will not be able to do complex or miter cuts. 

If you need more information please let us know.

Eric

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to build an indoor monkey bar?

Hi @JohnC5 , as well as considering @EricL 's suggestions for how to build the project, please also give consideration to attending to safety factors for it. Are you able to anchor it to the floor? If it were outside it would (or should) be bolted into the ground because a child's weight swinging is likely to pull it to the side & tip it over if free standing.  If you can't bolt it, I suggest widening the end pieces considerably. To make it easier to store, you could make them as triangular shaped stabilisers on each corner (instead of the short fixed ends in the original design) and hinge them so they can swing in out of the way when not in use. Otherwise, can it be connected to a wall, even if by temporary means when in use (eye bolts & ropes, or poles)?  I know that adds a little extra complication, but better than a trip to the hospital. 

JohnC5
Growing in Experience

Hello @TedBear  Thank you for the advice. Really helpful.

We are planning to put the monkey bar inside our unit for time being and we cant connect it to a wall too :unhappy: . When you say widening the end pieces, are you referring to pic 1 or 2 or something else? sorry I am very new to this..

1) 

JohnC5_0-1625902033196.png

2) 

JohnC5_1-1625902069028.png

Actually, I got this idea from one of my friends who have it indoors.. like this.

JohnC5_2-1625902595495.png

ALso @EricL  I am wondering, What all tools I might be needing like Circular Saw, Driller, etc..

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers.

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @JohnC5 , yes I was thinking of something exactly like the extensions in those first 2 pictures. It would make the unit safer given that it can't be anchored in your circumstances.  It will be interesting to see your project when you make it and the benefits that you are wanting from it. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @JohnC5

In reference to the photo you posted, yes that is exactly what you need to do. You need to extend both the width of the assembly and the footing to make it secure.

The tools you need to build your monkey bars are:

Painting the monkey bar assembly is always recommended. I will leave the colour choice up to you and your family.

We look forward to seeing the monkey bar once it is assembled.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects