Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix dents in door trims?

sj1
Finding My Feet

How to fix dents in door trims?

Hi All,

Can someone advise me how to fix small dents in the door trims.

1693948994638411279477173995517.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to fix dents in door trims?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @sj1. We're pleased to have you join us and look forward to reading all about your projects and plans for around the house and garden. We trust you'll get loads of helpful advice and plenty of project inspiration from our clever and creative members.

Let me tag some helpful members in @TedBear and @Dave-1 to kick off this discussion. 

These previous discussions might also prove helpful:

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good Morning @sj1 

Looks like you have been taking photos of my hallway lol A couple of questions.

Do you know what type of paint that is? (as you will need to repaint after fixing the hdings)

Are you going to repaint the hallway/room? :smile: 

I would suggest to use something along the the lines of a timber putty Timbermate timber putty 

I would also at the very least sand out the dings first (only because if the paint is old you are attaching putty to potentialy old paint)

Use the putty, sand it smooth and then repaint.

Everytime I "fix" an issue it shows up how new and sparkly it is and how drab the existing stuff is. (just painted nmy front door and my foyer looks shocking now lol)

You could potentialy rough up the dings and be careful filling and sanding then colourmatch teh existing paint instead of painting all the trim?

Dave

Simon
Having an Impact

Hi @sj1 

A couple of steps involved in a project like this. The simple overview of the steps would be:

1. A light sand of the damaged area, to either move or 'scuff' the existing paint.

2. After giving that surface area a clean, applying a multipurpose filler over the scratches / dents / imperfections. There are many different fillers to use, which ever one you choose, make sure its suitable for a timber surface, and is sendable and paintable once dry (all detailed on the packaging)

3. Sanding that area smooth again once completed. If you're lucky, you might get away with doing this once, but you might need to repeat Step 2/3 again once to twice.

4. Painting the repaired area to match the existing paint and colour. This could include a primer over the new filler. You can buy very small quantities of both primer and top coat paints if this is the only damaged area in your home.

Good luck. Any effort will make a big improvement to the damaged area.

sj1
Finding My Feet

Thanks @@Simon @Jason @Dave-1  for your input 

I am repainting the doors and trims . I was worried about the fact that since dents are on the edge and not too deep. Will the timber putty have enough grip  hold or stay  there or I better use Knead it .

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @sj1 

I'm hooked on this product (I'm not a Bunnings employee) - wonderful filler and sticks really well. Some sanding prior and I believe it will work well.

20230830_130156.jpg

👍

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @sj1 

The timber putty should hold, especially if you sand out the dents of the paint. I have been surprised at how well plaster holds up when I have been doing repairs and timber putty I would think is even stronger.

Dave

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

To ensure you get enough grip I'd drill a small hole or 2 in the bottom of the dents (at an angle) so that the filler goes in and has more surface to grip on. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @sj1,

It appears that our fabulous and knowledgeable members have already provided some great advice. The timber putty will be fine for those small dents. It's actually the opposite; if they were larger chunks out of the edge of the door, I'd then suggest a two-part filler.

Please let us know how you go and if you have any further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects