Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Seeking advice on removing metal doorstop/frame (?) and shelves from wardrobe cavities.

Moose
Growing in Experience

Seeking advice on removing metal doorstop/frame (?) and shelves from wardrobe cavities.

IMG-6465.jpgIMG-6466.jpgIMG-6467.jpgIMG-6468.jpgIMG-6469.jpg

Hi, we need to remove the metal components from inside our 1980's wardrobes. Someone suggested it's just a matter of angle grinding. Having never done anything similar, is that the way we go about it, and is there anything we should know in advance?

We are apparently also then needing to patch and paint before the cabinet maker comes and installs all the next shelves, drawers etc. Have also never painted or plastered, so I'd like to minimise the damage needing repair.

Thank you for any help!

royq
Having an Impact

Re: Seeking advice on removing metal doorstop/frame and shelves from wardrobe cavities

Hi @Moose,
You're right, weld is tougher than mild steel, it needs to be.
Yep it looks like it's time to break out the grinder. You can get by without the spindle tool if you need to, use a leather gardening glove or riggers glove and grip the blade to unwind the lock nut, the friction against the blade will loosen it. Same when tightening back up.
I would start with a grinding wheel rather than flap disc, flappers are expensive and will wear out quickly on that sort of work, they are used for final smoothing once the bulk of it is ground off.
Quick question before you start grinding though, are you going to put a timber trim over this? If so you could notch out the back of it to hide the metal there? I'm just thinking it is going to be really difficult to get the metal smooth enough to just paint and be presentable.
Cheers, Roy
Moose
Growing in Experience

Re: Seeking advice on removing metal doorstop/frame and shelves from wardrobe cavities

Thanks a lot Roy. Off to Bunnings for a grinding wheel then. I think you should get a Bunnings points card when you buy a house!! I'll check in with the cabinet maker about the trim question :smile:
Vicki
Moose
Growing in Experience

All removed, Thank you everyone. Now I’m onto paint prep questions! https://www.workshop.com.au/t5/Whole-of-House/hairline-cracks-interior-walls-widen-or-paint-over/m-p...

Moose
Growing in Experience

Hi everyone!
Our frames have been stripped, cleaned, and primed with etch primer. From what I can see online, an enamel paint would be most long lasting. We have some low sheen acrylic white paint left from previous renovations, would this be ok to use as a base coat, to save costs on the amount of enamel needed?
Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Probably not the time to be cutting corners @Moose seeing that you've put a lot of time and money into this project. Stick with a couple of coats of high gloss for a brilliant result. 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Seeking advice on removing metal doorstop/frame (?) and shelves from wardrobe cavities.

I'm sure I'm not the only community member curious about how your wardrobes are now looking @Moose.

Would you please be able to share an update with us? It would be fantastic to see what you have done. 

Many thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects