Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What is the best way to replace broken MDF

wa
Finding My Feet

What is the best way to replace broken MDF

Hi

I bought a bunk bed and the side accedently got broken, it is a 115x186x2.5 cm MDF. I reached out to few handy men but non could help me to remade a replacement. I am not sure if its a good idea to buy a separate timber plates and attach them together?

does any one have experience on how to fix similar parts?07AA6323-EEC7-447B-A686-7D3662FCAC06.jpeg

DF6FAF66-F643-4333-BB2D-B496141DDD87.jpeg

8F7EF8C9-ACE1-431D-B0E3-3AB42335E368.jpeg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: What is the best way to replace broken MDF

That's a tricky one @wa. Hopefully some experienced community members like @Brad or @ProjectPete might be able to offer up some suggestions for you. 

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the community. I trust you will receive lots of helpful advice and inspiration for your projects from our members. We encourage you to post whenever you need assistance or have something to share. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Without seeing it from every angle and where it fits in the construction of the bunk bed, it makes it a tad difficult to say for sure.

Personally, I'd most likely carefully cut the white section off from the purple section with a jigsaw, piece the broken parts together and trace the shape of the white area onto a new piece of MDF. I'd then cut it to shape, paint it and join it back to the purple pieces with wood glue and biscuit joins (optional) and/or brackets like this https://www.bunnings.com.au/carinya-60-x-200-x-1mm-flat-make-a-bracket_p3975832. Then fill any gaps and touch up with paint.

You could just go for the glue, bracket and filler option to begin with and see how the finish is. Depends how pedantic you want to be with it.

If it's a supporting piece I'd be careful of just going with the second option.

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
MartyH
Amassing an Audience

Agree with Pete, would you be able to take a few more photos to show the whole bed and how this piece fits @wa?

B7CD7A3A-6360-489E-B44F-196007FC6E62.jpeg

Hi pete

thanks for your reply

check the other side of the bed which i am trying to make a similar one.

The whole bed was never assymbled as the side got broken just after i bought it! 

The way it works is you put the two sides opposite to each other and start assymbling the other parts between them . they join to the holes in the two identical sides the sides are right and left

i cannot join the broken one was brackets as i believe its strctural integrity is compromised not strong enogh to hold the loads

i found an mdf panel slightly taller than this one but not sure if Bunnings has a workshop to cut it? 

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Amateurs opinion below...

• Slop a lotta glue on the broken ends.
  • Get the best fit - clamp/cramp together.
  • Weld up a square tube/plate frame that bypass's that middle "window".
  • When dry, bolt the steel frame to the bed end.
  • Paint - as best you can.

Hopefully this end can be positioned against the wall - as it's not gonna look pretty, but the frame becomes the support and that broken end becomes merely a facade.

img055.jpg

wa
Finding My Feet

Thats how it looks like

i will give it a crack

thanks

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects