Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Bluestone pool coping

Joker
Having an Impact

Bluestone pool coping

What would you chose for pool coping - a rounded edge or a square edge?

Coping2.JPGCoping1.JPG

Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Re: Bluestone pool coping

Your first image is called bullnose coping. 

bullnose.jpg

Your second pic is drop face coping, which is probably more popular right now, as its a modern look. It will also be more expensive. 

dropface.jpg

@Joker - I think the bullnose coping looks pretty old school, like something you might find on a pool in Los Angeles in the 80s. I'd definitely go for the drop face coping. 

Joker
Having an Impact

Thanks. We had someone on the weekend say that bluestone was not recommended for around a pool as it gets too hot and can stain with the saltwater. But others have said it's fine so we're a bit torn. 

@Joker - any dark-coloured stone is going to get pretty hot in direct sunlight so you just have to weigh up the extra heat vs. the look you're going for. I've known a few people to have bluestone coping on their pools and they haven't had any issues.

If you do decide against the bluestone, do you have another material in mind?

Joker
Having an Impact

We'd probably go for a composite that gave us the bluestone look. The coping will be fine as it gets wet, we're more concerned about the wider paving, particularly on kids feet. It will cop full sun.  

Joker
Having an Impact

We're also looking at granite now. Looks similiar but doesn't retain as much heat. We've seen some sandblasted pavers which look great and have a good texture. 

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

I much prefer the straight edge. More modern and sexy. In saying this, I do suggest (if possible) to ever so slighting 'grind' the edge back with a 45degree angle to lessen the sharpness of the edges. I'm talkign the tiniest amount, barely visible. If not, I'd still go straight edge, like I did recently with my pool.

As long as you use a pool/salt wtare grade sealer on your pavers, you'll be fine. Just give it an extra coat and make sur eyou do it at least annually although I plan to do mine twice a year just to keep them looking good for longer especially considering the price we pay for these things.

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo

Thanks for the tip. What are your pavers @ProjectPete? How hot do they get underfoot?

Interesting that some suppliers we've spoken to have said you don't need to seal the stone. But as you say, you would want to protect your investment...

I never noticed them get unbareably hot and we had some bloody hot days in P-Town but equally didnt intentionally walk on them barefoot. Don't know why anyone has said you don't need to seal them...You definitely should. Maybe the specific stone you were looking at didnt need it but I'd be surprised.

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects