Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Building a bench seat

Gina
Building a Reputation

Building a bench seat

Hi guys,

I'd like to build a corner bench seat in my outdoor area. I like the idea of it being out of some kind of board that I can feather finish to give a concrete look. Do you know if there is a timber sheet available that can be used outdoors without warping or rotting?

Here is an image showing the kind of look I'm going for but I wouldn't use the timber slats.

Any help would be appreciate!

Thanks

Gina

c0a507cfa31796e4eca3c4c4c9870d55.jpg

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Building a bench seat

Looks like a cozy spot @Gina - will be great to see what you come up with.

If you're going for a concrete look, why don't you just make it a concrete bench? Brick it up and coat in concrete. Will be longer lasting.

Or am I misunderstanding your plans?

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
Gina
Building a Reputation

Thanks Pete, I thought of that but my husband wants to be able to remove it easily if we decide to use the space differently down the track. I'm still considering this approach though!

Also, the design I want is pretty tricky with an in-built raised planter box behind so I thought using timber sheets would be easier to cut and install.

I've been told there is a timber or MDF product that doesn't rot or warp though... not sure if I was told a lie there :smile:
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great project @Gina. I hope you get lots of helpful ideas and advice for this build as well as many others in future.

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Workshop community. You will soon find we have lots of helpful members like @ProjectPete who are only too happy to share their experience and knowledge. 

Please let me know if you need a hand getting the most from the site.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Blueboard (fibre cement sheets) would be a good option and may save you some dollars. Then coat in cement.

Otherwise marine grade ply should do well for you. You could either coat it in cement or just seal it and paint it with a cement texture - I'd suggest it's not as long lasting as the option above.

If you weren't going for the cement look you could just use merbau decking or something similar.

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
MartyH
Amassing an Audience

You might like to investigate Ekodeck - https://www.bunnings.com.au/our-range/brands/e/ekodeck

Do a search here on Workshop and you'll see there's members who have used it and posted about their experiences.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Some of our keen woodworking folk might be able to offer assistance with this bench seat project, including @She_Skills, @Wayne, @darylhewston, @Brad, @Rusty-Saw, @gbaker1512, @Yorky88, @Johnnynl, @woodalwaysworks and @LePallet.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Yorky88
Becoming a Leader

Hi @Gina that bench seating looks fantastic. Can’t wait to see your finished product. I would have to second what @ProjectPete said with either fibro cement sheeting or marine grade plywood with a cement render would probably do the trick for what you are looking for. 

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

+1 to Blueboard and Ecodeck.
Gina
Building a Reputation

Thanks so much everyone for all your suggestions. I think I'm going to use either the Blueboard or marine grade ply as most of you have suggested. I'm going to measure and draw up my design this week and hopefully build it on 4/5 Nov so I'll keep you posted on how I go :smile:

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects