Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can you take your dog into Bunnings?

javajatz
Just Starting Out

Can you take your dog into Bunnings?

CAn anyone tell me if Bunnings let you take a dog into the store?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Can you take your dog into Bunnings?

Hi @javajatz,

Welcome to Workshop, an online community for D.I.Y. and gardening discussion. We're really pleased you could join us and are sure you will receive lots of inspiration and helpful advice from our members. We look forward to reading about your projects and plans. Feel free to post whenever you need a hand or have something to share. 

I can answer your question for you on this occasion as there's detail on the Store Entry Information page on the Bunnings website. It says that pets are permitted if secured safely in a vehicle, on a lead and wearing a muzzle, or carried. Of course, assistance animals are always welcome. If you have more specific questions, I would encourage you to use the Contact Us page on the Bunnings website or enquire at your local store. 

Thanks again for joining us,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
L8RALIG8R
Getting Established

Re: Pets

I work for Bunnings. The regulations changed in 2015 and the new policy is basically saying your dog can be allowed in without a muzzle if secured in a trolley. If the dog is not in a trolley or is being carried it needs to wear a muzzle. I had a gentlemen come into work today and he uses a carpet tile to put in the trolley for his dog to sit on which I thought was brilliant. Most people use flattened cardboard boxes, however, the genius idea has made me put the idea forward and suggest that all stores have carpet tiles at the doors available for customer use whilst in the store.
brendawebster44
Making a Splash

A day out with friends at Bunnings We make a day of it. I can walk quite well holding the trolley and then we go for a coffee at the cafe b

2746C210-18E9-4024-BF27-47E026FE1447.jpeg

304F94EA-E8A0-4626-B351-02278619D02B.jpeg

0EA315DE-00B2-4B6D-AE24-25ADD37371A4.jpeg

Early last year in the major central aisle of my Bunnings store two very large dogs (dunno the breeds) met and attacked each other.

They were both on leads but the sheer mass and muscular strength of these animals prevented the owners from pulling them apart.

In the end - customers and staff members had to assist the owners and one staff member used a broom to help separate the animals.

Clearly some dogs should not tour the aisles of Bunnings.

I don't know how many times I have been in a public park where a large unleashed dog has ran up to me barking its head off with the owner in the background smiling or laughing "don't worry he/she won't bite you!"

Later I asked the staff member who intervened with the broom if he saw this happen a lot with dogs in the store. He said it wasn't common but it usually happened with smaller dogs. I then asked what happens if a customer is bitten or injured by a dog in the store and he believed that Bunnings insurance would handle it but he was also under the impression that dogs had to be muzzled. I've never seen a muzzled dog in the store.

Finally, I asked him when it started - when animals (not the human kind) started appearing in Bunnings aisles.

He looked at me for a while - quizzically, frowning - "I don't know, I don't remember?"

Anyone know?

I do remember when Bunnings was originally BBC Hardwarehouse. No animals then. Our store became Bunnings and moved to bigger premises in 2009 - no animals.

Probably 2018?

Our dog is a two year old 4kg chi/terrier. I could put him in a Bunnings basket - he can look adorable, but I just don't trust him, especially with children reaching out and trying to pat him.

So he stays home.

Resized_20220423_231924.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Noyade, 

Pets are permitted in-store at Bunnings if they are secured safely in a vehicle (such as a trolley or in a car in the timber yard), on a lead and wearing a muzzle, or carried. Of course, assistance animals are always welcome.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
brendawebster44
Making a Splash

Hello, well I have covid again gee it takes it out of you. Then again I will spend at least one whole day at Bunnings with Charlie in the trolley. I might not buy much (ohh yes I do) but I have lunch take Charlie for a wee wee then back in the trolley. I put pillows in the trolley so he is cosy , he loves it. I have always been told I can take him in but only in the trolley brenda 

F2587982-5ADC-4F3A-A44D-4F3F19BB0FC0.jpeg

C148A89D-17EF-4FA2-B775-D22266713E41.jpeg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects