Workshop
Start a discussion

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Deck strip, sand and oil

antonio

Re: Ocean grove deck - strip, sand and oil

hi Russel,

my name is Antonio, i do up decks for a living and other things around the house.

i'm just going to sugest something to you,

if the paint is hard to remove, i would leave it there, i would use the

same product (if possible, if not at list the same base)

you say yours is acrylic, you could get the same thing, give it a nice send

with an orbital sender, 120 grit and then apply your product,

you may need to do 4 or 5 coats to blend the new and the old, but i'm sure

you could get a nice rusult.

we never know till we try.

good luck.

Antonio

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for joining in the discussion and sharing your experience @antonio. I'm sure @Russell appreciates the advice.

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to Workshop. It's great to have you as a community member. It sounds like you have a lot of knowledge and expertise you can share with others. I'm looking forward to reading more of your posts soon. I hope you will also receive helpful information and some inspiration for projects from our community members, too. 

Please let me know if you ever need any help getting the most from the site, or have any feedback about how we can make Workshop more useful for you.

Thanks again,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jase1188
Frequent Browser

Just wondering, how much liquid 8 paint stripper did you use? My house has a deck which was painted grey/blue by previous owner, and i want to strip it back to bare timber to oil it, but not sure how much paint stripper i will need. The deck is approx 8m wide by 4m long. 

Thanks

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Jase1188,

Thanks for joining in the discussion. I have tagged @DIY_Dan to alert him to your question as its been a while since he created this discussion thread.

I suspect it might be hard to estimate how much paint stripper you will need before you start as Integrain suggests that thick coatings might require more than one application. Let us know how you go. 

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to Workshop. It's great to have you join us. I'm sure you will find plenty of helpful information and inspiration from our community members.  

Titch

Re: Deck strip, sand and oil

My question relates to preparation of the deck.

I'm guessing that both the chemical and pressure spray preparations were not required given the decision was made to sand in the end. Is this correct.

Wouldn't sanding always be preferable to chemical preparation ....... less toxic?

Regards

Titch

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Deck strip, sand and oil

Thanks for joining in the discussion @Titch, it's good to have you join us. Although this discussion was created several years ago, let me tag @DIY_Dan for you so he is alerted to your question.

Are you planning your own deck rejuvenation project? Please don't hesitate to hit the Start a discussion button and share details about your deck and its condition if you need a hand from the community about your specific situation. 

Welcome,

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects