Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Front Fence

Helen
Having an Impact

Front Fence

Want to replace front fence, what type of fence? Can't decide! Any one have some ideas, have you completed such a project? I am stuck! would like something that looks good but won't cost heaps! My house is getting restumped shortly, so savings will mostly go there & have to start saving again. Knowing what kind of fence will be helpful in reaching that goal.

darylhewston
Becoming a Leader

Re: Front Fence

@Helen

Hi Helen,

Where does one start?  It really all depends on what style of house you have, and most importantly, what style you like.  Do you want it to complement or hide the house?  Do you want to cut down noise?  Do you intend growing vines/plants on it.  There are just so many styles and materials that one could go nuts just trying to decide what type of fence you want.  Timber slats (horizontal, vertical and angular), brick (face and rendered), metal (colourbond, plate, laser cut etc).  Finishes are also endless.  Painted, natural, preserved rust and the list goes on and on.  Suggest posting a picture of your house frontage so we can get a better idea.
Good luck with choosing.
Cheers'n'beers
Daryl

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

I will take 1/2 the blame for the brickwork but the gates with it is all mine.

Gates could do with a paint...house.jpg

Helen
Having an Impact

Very neat, suits house. My house is 50"s weather board. My garden has been referred to as "your jungle".

Thanks Daryl, My house is weather board 50"s, can't see much of it apart from drive side, "my jungle" is me, I am not a "little maids all in a row" person. Will see if I can get a photo, haven't tried sending photos as yet! Like your comments, and I am going "nuts" I think!

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

I would go with pickets in your case, a hedge would look good with maids in a row but it also takes work to keep it formal looking.

@Helen

Ok, 50's style weatherboard and jungle.  I would also go timber to complement the house.  Unfortunately, my style won't necessarily mean you will like it.  We all have our own styles and likes/preferences.  Could I suggest you google 'timber fences' and have a look at the images.  This may give you some ideas on what you would like.  Again, there is so many styles to choose from.

Cheers'n'beers

Daryl

Thanks for ideas, next door has high picket fence same style house. I will do a google search, have been taking more notice of fences as I go around town. Also started many years ago growing hedge plants/trees in pots for bonsai. Did think of hedge! I'll kept at it!!! keeps the mind working.
Helen
Having an Impact

Thinking picket fence but not too high. Have enough secondhand pickets to do from side fence to house, so a matching front fence makes sense. Need to leave this job for a while though, too many other jobs on the go!
Helen
Having an Impact

Have made up my mind! going with picket fence, started pulling down old fence, well really part of top rail broke off so gave me reason to start.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects