Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Garden gate not closing with gate spring

Offcut
Getting Established

Garden gate not closing with gate spring

Hi everyone,

I have a garden gate with a gate spring on it - but it won't close completely. Photo shows a new gate spring but I can't get enough tension in the spring to make it work. I've put WD40 into the hinges to loosen them up but still no success. Tradies had taken the gate off to get equipment in - and the issue has been since then.

Could the hinges be out of alignment? What else would cause this issue?

ThanksIMG_8672.jpgIMG_8673.jpg

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Garden gate not closing with gate spring

Morning @Offcut 

"Alas, the gate is not flush with the front of the post"

A Sunday morning thought - after two cups of coffee - what about putting a block of wood in a strategic position, so that it becomes flush?

Scan1188.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Offcut

The only other thought that comes to mind is that the actual spring might be defective. However, I find @Noyade's suggestion that the spring mount might be reversed as a possible cause for the spring not working. Just to add to that idea, I recommend changing the angle of the mount as well. At the moment it is going from a left to a right angle, I suggest reversing it. 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing the gate fixed. 

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Offcut
Getting Established

Hi @Noyade , new spring is identical to the old. Your arrow is pointing to the holes on the gate that the spring attaches too (it's swinging in the wind, in the photo!)

Offcut
Getting Established

yep... I was thinking that maybe the hinges are slightly out of alignment and that's giving enough resistance. I can't just lift the gate off the hinges as the top hinge is slightly recessed into the post. No idea about the ball bearing. Squirted WD40 into it which loosened it a bit but that was before all my comments.Fair bit of rusty wd40 came out...

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Early good morning Offcut! @Offcut 😊

You said...

"it's swinging in the wind"

Which to me means no resistance in the hinges nor are they outta alignment.

You said...

"Your arrow is pointing to the holes on the gate that the spring attaches too"

Which confirms to me again - you have the tension spring on the wrong side of the gate. I don't know what happened in the past - but that make of spring needs to PUSH from the opposite side of the gate. I know you mentioned the post and gate frame aren't flush on the other side - but we therefore need to make it so. See my amateur diagram above.

Also, see here...

And from an American web site that does a better job than me in describing your situation, in words...

explanation.PNG

https://shop.360yardware.com/stainless-steel-heavy-duty-brutus-adjustable-tension-gate-spring-4612-h...

Cheers!

Graeme.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects