Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Help with decking issue?

Melany
Just Starting Out

Help with decking issue?

Hi Community, has anyone got any tips on how to build a trap door into the top of an existing deck? I need to access my external hot water cylinder from the top of the deck as access is limited underneath.. How do I even start? The cylinder was replaced by tenants while I was overseas & whoever the installer was, they decided it was a 'good idea' to cut a serious chunk of structural decking joist out in order to get the cylinder to fit. Oh my, why do people not think!!!? How do I fix this issue, without having to replace the cylinder? Can anyone help?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Help with decking issue?

Hi @Melany,

Welcome to Workshop. You've come to the right place for a problem like this. I'm sure some of our experienced and knowledgable community members will be happy to make some suggestions. But it might help if you also posted some photos of your deck so everyone can see what you're working with. Let me know if you need a hand uploading them or getting the most from the site.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MartyH
Amassing an Audience

I'm a little confused. How did they install the hot water system there if there's no access? 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

I wonder if @darylhewston might be able to help with this one. He built an amazing automatic chicken coop door opener. A trap door on a deck should be no problem! 

Any thoughts Daryl?

Jason

@Melany @Jason

I few ideas come to mind but if Melany could send through or post a couple of pics, especially the structural members, i could draw up a solution.

Cheers

Daryl

Awesome, that's a very generous offer. Thanks @darylhewston. I'm sure Melany would appreciate your assistance. 

@Melany - please let me know if you need a hand uploading photos for Daryl. 

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects