Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Hiding a pool cover roller

Joker
Having an Impact

Hiding a pool cover roller

Just wondering if anyone has seen any nifty solutions for hiding a pool cover and roller. I'm thinking maybe we could have something like a timber box near the end of the pool with a hinged lid so it could double as a seat? 

Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Re: Hiding a pool cover roller

Something like this is the ultimate...

downunder7.jpg

But you could DIY something a bit more modest like what you described. Here's a couple for inspiration...

76b9da9920e8d3ff2edd7000aa0d5415.jpgtoptrack_clip_image001.jpg

Joker
Having an Impact

Thanks. I found something like what I was thinking...

CHl1gkRUsAEAbGH.jpg

Joker
Having an Impact

I still like this design the best, but I'm thinking I would prefer if it was sunk into the ground at the end of the pool just after the pool coping ends. My wife thinks that won't work as it will get dirty inside, fill up with water, etc. Any suggestions?

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

G'day Joker, I like your pic of the sunken enclosure, but if you're concerned about water & crud ingress, set the box section slightly above ground, & build the lid larger so that it overlaps the box, plus put some form of rubber or silicone weather strip between them.

RUNNAMUKK1
Growing in Experience

Just out of curiosity, the box above with the 

Roller blanket inside that can be doubled as a seat, did you make or purchase this yourself? It's exactly what im after that's all.

Ash

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @RUNNAMUKK1. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for jumping into the discussion.

The above images appear to be inspiration pictures; not projects members have built or bought. The seating cover above could indeed be built, and it looks like it would be a relatively straightforward construction process depending on your level of D.I.Y. skills.

I put a couple of renderings together for you below. Hopefully, they'll depict how you could construct this project yourself from 90 x 45mm treated pine and decking.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Cover1.pngCover2.png

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hey Mitchell, rendering very helpful. Just wondering your thoughts about being able to put this on wheels suitable to be left outdoors and support the weight of the roller, mat, structure and people sitting on it?

cheers

So I spent a few days in the garage building this pool blanket box and this was my 1st attempt at anything woodwork related, all in all I don't think I did too bad if a job

20220803_135722.jpg

20220803_135840.jpg

20220803_135851.jpg

20220803_135722.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects