Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do you clean your windows?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

How do you clean your windows?

Sponge.jpg

We have an empty block next to our house at the moment and it's blowing a lot of dust everywhere. This weekend it's time to clean the windows. It's never a fun job!

People have many different methods of cleaning windows, using various tools and cleaning products to achieve a spotless result.  

How do you clean your windows? Let us know by replying below.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Elaine
Getting Established

Re: How do you clean your windows?

I agree with the water and vinegar using a microfiber cloth the dry with newspapers
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for sharing your advice @Elaine and joining in the discussion.

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to Workshop. It's great to have you join the community. I'm looking forward to reading more of your posts about your projects and plans. Please let me know if you need a hand getting the most from the site.

Jason

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

This tip about not cleaning windows when its too hot is probably common knowledge for a streak-free result, but I hadn't heard of using cornstarch before. Anyone tried it?

Jason

Henno
Having an Impact

Jason, my builder and his wife (who cleans up the worksite before handing over to the client), swear by Morning Fresh dishwashing liquid and after seeing how it worked on our windows, I would have to agree. We've got a kajillion windows in our new reno at Culburra plus those louvre ones (pain in the a*se to clean) and they've come up a treat.

Mrs Henno has come up with an invention to clean the louvres which involves a pair of BBQ tongs and some sort of car washing cloth. It's in its first iteration, so only early days and trials are ongoing.

But back to your question about cleaning windows: I would have to agree with my builder's wife (Tina The Cleaner) and use Morning Fresh with some washable towels.

However, having said that, my Mum did swear by newspaper and metho. But as my friend Andy_Mann says, you should only mix metho with orange juice...

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for sharing @Henno. Must try that. But I'm most curious about what the BBQ tongs are for when it comes to cleaning the louvres!

Good to see you posting again. 

Jason

I've never heard of using dishwashing liquid on windows before. I assume you would only use a very tiny amount? 

Henno
Having an Impact

Kellie, just use it as you would in the sink. Depending on the size of the window to be cleaned. Ensure you have some sort of rags to catch the overflow at the base of the window or even use some sort of squeegee to wipe the excess off.
Jason, as far as the tongs go, I think they go inside the two mittens and then used to clean either side of the louvre at once. Pretty cool idea, but a bit awkward in practice. Needs a bit of refining in relation to the size of the mittens me thinks.
pursya
Growing in Experience
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for the link @pursya. It's good to see you back on Workshop. 

Jason

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

I did some spring cleaning on the weekend, including cleaning the windows and deck. Still not sure I've perfected my technique as I noticed a few streaks this morning!

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects