Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do you clean your windows?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

How do you clean your windows?

Sponge.jpg

We have an empty block next to our house at the moment and it's blowing a lot of dust everywhere. This weekend it's time to clean the windows. It's never a fun job!

People have many different methods of cleaning windows, using various tools and cleaning products to achieve a spotless result.  

How do you clean your windows? Let us know by replying below.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: How do you clean your windows?

@Matt5 how would you deal with upstairs windows that I can't reach? I'm not good with heights & don't even like hubby up on the ladder to do them.

@FranMM 

I connect a soft broom connected to the end of my swimming pool telescope leaf clearer. I use masking tape and quite a bit to keep broom secure.

Use the same method as ground floor windows.prepare a window cleaning concentrate ( even dish washing liquid) something that doesn't streak, in a rectangle bucket.

Hose windows down first probably with hose on jet spray.

Slowly sweep/brush with suds and hose down... window sills may have to be cleaned from in the rooms. 

NB..You may get a little wet so wait for a nice warm day...Good luck !

That sounds reasonable for the lower windows, and maybe even the upper ones at the front, but we wouldn't be able to reach the back upper ones even with an extension unfortunately :unhappy:

MarleyJ_Aus
Getting Established

I wash first with a Car Cleaning Broom added with morning fresh detergent scrub with Broom then rinse off - then use a either Newspaper or fiber free cloth I find the cloth I need a few too is a better choice as the newspaper on big windows gets messy 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @MarleyJ_Aus. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for jumping into the conversation.

Some morning fresh and a good scrub with a broom always get's the job done. These days, I try and get away with some Glitz 2L Ready-To-Use Outdoor Glass Cleaner and blasting it off with a pressure cleaner to save myself the elbow grease of scrubbing. Although it removes 95% of grime on the windows, I can't seem to get the last bit. It really takes the mechanical agitation of a brush to dislodge that stubborn buildup. I might need to treat myself to one of these Karcher High Pressure Cleaner Rotary Wash Brushes.

I look forward to hearing more about your projects and plans around the house and garden. Please let us know anytime you need assistance or have something to share.

Mitchell

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

How are your windows looking at the moment?

I noticed the Bunnings team recently shared a video featuring Chantel Mila showing how to clean windows. In the clip she creates a mixture with 4 cups of water, 2 cups of cleaning vinegar, and ½ cup of dishwashing liquid.

Jason

Remarka6le
Amassing an Audience

My wife got a Large Home Clean kit from Koh some time ago and we've never turned back from it, the stuff seems to be able to clean everything. They have specific clothes for different areas of your home, such as windows, so we would just wash a window down with water, spray the Koh on, wipe off with the window cloth and it's crystal clear. Always happy with it. 

Remarka6le

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects