Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to attach small pergola to metal fascia

j_nilesh
Finding My Feet

How to attach small pergola to metal fascia

Hi All , I am planning to build small pergola to the side of my alfresco. Just wondering "How to attach small pergola to metal fascia"

Bunning video talks about the wood fascia to attach walling plate but what about metal fascia. As i understand i need to screw the plate with the roof rafters. But question is to locate the roof rafters behind the metal fascia?

Re: How to attach small pergola to metal fascia

It looks like you'd be in the ballpark of 138 x 42mm 3.6m F7 H3 Treated Pine Primed LOSP, @calccom21. A V-shaped roof would be considerably more challenging to construct than a flat roof. You might like to have some plans drafted up by a professional.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
calccom21
Building a Reputation

Ah got it..thanks for your advise..i might go flat then

calccom21
Building a Reputation

Sorry another question with the extended fascia bracket - do I just slot it behind the aluminium fascia cover or I need to cut it so it slot in it?

You'll likely need to cut a slot in the fascia to slip the bracket through, @calccom21. You'll then need to access the ceiling cavity to screw the bracket into the roof timber.

Mitchell

MadKiwi
Just Starting Out

Thanks Trent. Great work and makes it easier reading and seeing the photos. Question. On your earlier post you had the rafter brace. Did you have to cut into the metal facia plate? Do you have any close up photos? Sorry. Just want to confirm and get it right. Last one I did was easy. It was to a wooden facia but this house. OMG give me metal. And I can build anyone a race car. Give me wood and I am screwed. Haha. 

2494A9D6-14AA-470A-8967-DF3ECD2EEA9D.png

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @MadKiwi. It's wonderful to have you join us and great to see you jump into the discussion.

Let me mention @trentp, so they are notified of your questions.

If the metal fascia is hard against a timber member, you could drill through the fascia and install the fascia bracket. However, if there is an air gap between the metal fascia and the timber member, you'd need to remove the fascia and install the fascia brackets directly onto the timber. You'd then cut segments out of the fascia and re-install it over the brackets.

I'm keen to hear Trent's thoughts, and please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects