Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build wooden pool pump cover and cabinet to match

baltoi79
Getting Established

How to build wooden pool pump cover and cabinet to match

Hi, I am new to this forum and really anything to do with woodwork. I am looking to build a wooden pool pump cover and then a cabinet to go on the side of it so we can store our pool robot toys etc… and was looking for a little help? I have tried to draw rough sketches on my ipad as per attached pictures (sorry not my strong point). I do like the Merbau timber look as I do have a feature wall already which is Merbau. I would be looking at the front of the pool pump cover being able to open to have access to the filter and the top to lift up for easy access to the chlorinator. For the cabinet, with me going to store my robot etc.. I am not sure if it would have to be lined to protect it from the weather or not? Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated 👍5791B592-18F0-46CB-83CD-CA702C15581F.jpeg

72F8F984-6EEC-465D-BF09-070B1D94FC13.jpeg

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: wooden pool pump cover and cabinet to match

A photo of your existing feature wall would be a help so we could match the style.

Not being a pool person a quick Google suggests that the robot be kept out of the weather so I would go with a lining for that part of the storage.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build wooden pool pump cover and cabinet to match

Hello @baltoi79

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about building a wooden pool pump cover.

I suggest having a look at this discussion - How to make a wooden pool pump cover? by @lbell. You'll see in that discussion suggestions on what tools and materials to use to build the pool pump cover. As for the cabinet, it's important to consider the height and width of the items you'll be storing in the cabinet. The key to the pool pump cover is building an adequate frame. I suggest using 70 x 35mm L/M Outdoor Framing MGP10 H3 Treated Pine. This timber has been treated so that you can use it for exterior use.

The tall cabinet on the other hand can be built using combinations of 70 x 35 timber and 2440 x 1220mm 12mm Plywood Hardwood Marine AA Grade. You can then clad the outside with SpecRite 1800 x 902mm Pre-Oiled Merbau Alternating Slat Fence Panels. You can also use Merbau Decking and clad it in your own style. It all depends on what look you're going for.

I've placed a basic frame for you to reference, the measurements placed are examples only, please adjust them to your needs. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
baltoi79
Getting Established

Hey Eric, thanks very much for that, I have to work away for a few weeks but will definitely give it a crack when I get home 😁

baltoi79
Getting Established

12D9A22C-1954-4BFD-85F1-CA59AD643CA4.jpeg

2133F010-CEA2-4F21-89DA-0C2CCCE74C72.jpeg

41087D26-9795-49A5-9D50-53EA529D8936.jpeg

So I managed to actually get round to building the pump cover and just thought I’d post a few pics of how it went, just need to put wider panels on the outer edge of the top door to overlap the sides but really happy with how it has turned out. Will build the tall cabinet on my next break from work.

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Nice work so far!

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great work @baltoi79, it looks terrific. 

Jason

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @baltoi79

Thank you very much for posting those updated photos of your pool pump cover. It looks fantastic and neatly fits in within its surroundings.

Eric

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Nice work! and impressed you followed through with your design and the help the Bunnings team gave! Seriously it looks like the sketch! :smile:

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects