Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to make a wooden pool pump cover?

lbell
Just Starting Out

How to make a wooden pool pump cover?

Hi I am looking for instructions to make a wooden pool pump cover. Can you help?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how to make a wooden pool pump cover

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @pdugar. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your questions.

Some Pinnacle 300mm Galvanised Scotch Tee Hinges would be perfect for attaching your marine-grade plywood to the frame. A couple of Goliath 535mm 200N Black Gas Struts would assist in lifting the lid and are suitable for exterior use.

We can cut Merbau decking to length so you can clad your frame. Panels products are not able to be cut down on our saw. With some effort, it would be achievable to cut them down yourself with a handsaw. Or, this might be a good opportunity to invest in a circular saw. Personally, I use a Ryobi One+ 18V 165mm Circular Saw and find it fantastic for a multitude of jobs around the home. Alternatively, a corded circular saw like the Ozito 185mm 1300W Corded Circular Saw can be purchased at a reasonable cost.

As long as the sleepers are relatively solid, I see no reason why you couldn't screw the frame directly into them, especially if you used some angled brackets.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or have questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

318043A8-B85F-4E09-92ED-FF66D0D724AE.jpeg

Thanks Mitchell.  
Here are some of the pictures of the pool pump and the sleepers box. It’s dimensions are 1250 x 1450 wide and the highest height at the back would be 1250. I would like the cover to be angled similar to the picture you had earlier in the  discussions. Is this feasible?

also, seeing the pump backs onto a color bond fence (there is about 400mm gap to the fence), should I put a timber post at the back to attach the panel to and the cover or simply screw it onto the fence?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @pdugar,

I see no reason why you couldn't construct a cover on an angle, and your rear posts will need to be higher than your front to achieve this. I'd suggest that you'll need to create posts at the back as screwing into the Colorbond sheeting will penetrate the other side of the fence. I'm sure your neighbours won't appreciate sharp screw heads poking through.

If you were to use Merbau panels, then you could screw them directly into the treated pine slabs and each other. That might do away with the need for posts altogether.

Mitchell

Hi Mitchell, using the materials you've suggested above. How much would it cost to create a box like this? Thanks in advance.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Corine. It's fabulous to have you join us, and many thanks for your question on pool pump cover costs.

The cost would vary depending on the size of your pool pump and whether you can find screening timber that can be used without significant offcut wastage. As an estimate, I would suggest around $400-$500 for materials.

If you can post some pictures of your pool pump and let me know the width, depth, and height, I can see if there are any products you could easily use.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

inbound3988128962232722128.jpg

Hi I'd like to build one like this but need for following dimensions.

1.7hx 2.3l x 0.7w  are you able to assist.

Thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @dave8. It's fantastic to have you join us and many thanks for your question about building pool pump covers.

I'm sure our helpful community members would be more than happy to assist with your project. What exactly did you need assistance with? We're not working from any particular set of plans here, though I'm sure you could find some online. However, we'd be happy to answer any questions you had.

In your case, since the unit is so high, I'd suggest you'd be better off just screening the area instead of building an enclosure. Four SpecRite 1800 x 902mm Pre-Oiled Merbau Alternating Slat Fence Panels should be enough. If you concrete in a few H4 posts at the fence and then one in the corner at the bottom right of your image, you could use 90 x 35mm H3 MGP 10 Treated Pine Outdoor Timber Framing fixed between them. You can then attach your three fence panels to the horizontal framing timber. At the end, you could put the fourth panel on hinges to create a door into the area.

Let me know what you think and feel free to ask any questions.

Mitchell

Thanks was hoping to go from back fence 1.75h then with a roof for protection and doors on front for access and slats in sheeting for heater to breath. Would this be OK sorry I should've said in first note

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @dave8

Do you wish to mount the pump cover on the fence itself? Based on @MitchellMc's fantastic render. The probable reason a post was used is that the Colorbond fence is not able to take a large amount of weight. You'll need to build a frame to transfer the door opening to the front of the assembly. Using the current plan that was suggested, a roof can easily be placed on top with some timber framing. I suggest cutting down the  SpecRite 1800 x 902mm Pre-Oiled Merbau Alternating Slat Fence Panels by 150mm so that there will be a gap at the top to allow ambient heat to escape. 

If you had something else in mind, I suggest sketching on paper the configuration you're after. You can then share your idea with our members and we'll then be able to offer ideas on how to build it. There are several options for roofing, but I suggest using galvanized steel to prevent the roof from warping due to the heat from your units. The Specrite Alternating slat Fence Panels is perfect for your project. Not only can you use it as a fence but as a door as well and it has excellent ventilation properties.

I've made some sample sketches, please have a look and tell me what you think.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

Hi, 

I like how you built the pool equipment box with Merbau strips.   Did you use 42 x 18mm 2.7m FJ Pre Oiled Merbau Screening?

Did you use the same screening strips vertically on the corners hiding the screws to the frame?

How did you build the lid?

I want to build something similar but with doors on the front.

Any suggestions or hints would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects