Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix snake mesh to a fence?

calccom21
Building a Reputation

How to fix snake mesh to a fence?

Hi,

Good morning. need some advise how do i go about fixing these snake mesh wiring on my fence. Some of these are wooden ply and some are colorbond. My main focus is the bottom part. Any idea?

IMG20231124090236.jpgIMG20231124090152.jpgIMG20231124090157.jpgIMG20231124090208.jpgIMG20231124090212.jpgIMG20231124090218.jpgIMG20231124090232.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix snake mesh to a fence?

Hello @calccom21 

Thanks for sharing your question about how to fix snake mesh to a fence. I suggest installing the snake mesh on the outside of the fence. I propose bending the mesh into an "L" shape with the bottom of the "L" not being less than 300mm long. This section must be buried into the soil or fixed into the ground with pegs. The top portion must be nailed or stapled to the surface of the fence making sure not to leave any gaps.

The issue with installing the mesh on the inside of the fence is that the corner of the fence where the posts are located are the most vulnerable spot for the mesh as they are often not secured properly. It only takes one weak spot, and the snake will find a way in.

I also recommend filling in any low-level gaps with topsoil on both sides of the fence. A comprehensive walk around the fence line is what I would suggest making sure that the entire area is secure.  

Let me call on our experienced members @Adam_W, @Dave-1, @JoeAzza, @TedBear, @Steve5 and @homeinmelbourne for their recommendations.

I also suggest having a look at this discussion - How to build a temporary snake and toad barrier? by @Steve5

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Steve5
Having an Impact

HI Calccom21,

I agree with Eric's L design with the bottom or leading edge buried so the snakes slide over it and find a corner they can't penetrate.

I uploaded photos of my finished temporary snake fence in case it helps.

Corners are layered to ensure good coverage.

I built a permenant snake fence with mesh like you're doing and the mesh in the ground rusted after a while.  

I covered it with shade cloth and that degraded too, I'll use weed mat or geofabric in the future since made to be in ground.

Cheers

calccom21
Building a Reputation

Thanks @EricL @Steve5  can't seem to able to see your temporary snake mesh photo?

Hi @calccom21,

@Steve5 posted them on his discussion How to build a temporary snake and toad barrier?

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects