Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to landscape and cover deck with a pergola?

Thierry
Building a Reputation

How to landscape and cover deck with a pergola?

Hi Team

I would like to have an idea and design to cover my existing open deck with a pergola. Would like to enjoy the deck during this coming summer.

Also would like to make the landscape more kids friendly as i recently removed the gum tree at the backyard.

Appreciate any ideas and advice

Please see photos

IMG20220903142923.jpg

IMG20220903142143.jpg

  

Many thanks

Thierry

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to landscape and cover deck with a pergola?

Hi @Thierry

Thanks for sharing your question about installing a pergola and making your backyard more kid-friendly. Looking at the photo you posted, I suggest building the pergola outside the footprint of the existing deck. This will solve the issue of having to cut into the deck, digging under the deck and compromising the overall structure of the deck. A free-standing pergola will make assembly much simpler as it will have its own post and foundation.

As for the more kid-friendly landscape, I suggest transferring the garden where the bin is located to the other side where the Yucca plants are. I only suggest this in the interest of safety for both children and adults. Having a level flat area without sharp pointy plants will allow you to put in a cubby house, swing set with a slide or trampoline. It all depends on the type of entertainment you'll be building for the kids.

Here is a link for ideas and inspiration: Top 10 most popular garden makeovers

Here are some fantastic projects our Workshop members have shared:

Here are some handy step-by-step guides: 

Please remember before you start to check with your local council on the rules and regulations of building a pergola over an existing deck. 

Let me call on our experienced members @TheRenoDad and @Remarka6le for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Thierry,

Loads of good ideas on our Top Ideas section.  Here's some examples:

Hope that helps.

Jason

Remarka6le
Amassing an Audience

Thank's for the mention @EricL , 

If this were my backyard, I'd be wanting to use the entirety of that upper section as a deck, so I would install a low profile decking system over it leading to the existing deck, which you would step up onto. With child safety in mind, that massive rock from a small fall is a big issue, so with the low profile decking system I'd create a step there that latches onto the existing deck and wraps around to just touching the second level of brick to create a better step, I would then close this off with another hand guard so kids can't fall off from there. You then have the option of closing this area of entirely if you chose to.

Deck.png

Pergola style is really up to you, my parents have a fully enclosed one that comes out into a "vine section", while I have a few friends who opted for ones that let in a lot of sun while protecting from rain and the occasional fist sized ball of hail. IMO, I'd take down what's already there and replace it with something like this, with the lattice against the right brick wall.

248378707_6425074654201806_2428198913315703650_n.jpg

Regards,

Remarka6le
Thierry
Building a Reputation

Hi @EricL 

Thanks for the suggestion.

I am thinking to remove all plants near that bin and make it level to the back end empty space.. Should i grow grass, artificial grass or just mulch??

thinking about using that as entertainment area also, not sure yet - which are both beneficial for kids and adults.. 

To the right, I will leave that small rock creak as it is.

Cheers

Thierry

Thierry
Building a Reputation

Hi @Remarka6le 

Thanks for your input. That's an absolutely a great idea!

We rarely make use of the deck and want to enjoy more outdoor space. The house itself is quite small and only 1 living room.

How about the left side (green),  what can you suggest?

Note that theres a basketball stand there, and this part is facing west side.

Cheers Thierry 

IMG-20220909-WA0003.jpg

IMG20220908074413.jpg

IMG20220908074759.jpg

Remarka6le
Amassing an Audience

Hey @Thierry , 

Looks good. In regards to the area you've asked about, I'd first start out by removing the large rocks (black). I'd then level the area next to the deck and build a raised garden planter (yellow) that covers the open section beneath the deck and would allow you to have some nice plants next to your raised deck section.

I would then install some stairs (Blue) and a latchable, lockable gate (red) along that side section to provide another access point.

I would finish this all off by levelling off the dirt area (green) and lay down a grass (natural or artificial) of your choice (with appropriate drainage) to create a small green area. If this were my yard, I'd plant an adult fruit bearing tree (Lemons would be great) in the center of that green space as a nice focal point. 

Capture.JPG

I'd probably take the time to cement below the basketball hoop to make better use of that as well. Hope this helps :smile: 

Remarka6le
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Thierry

I was thinking about the green area, why not make it a game area for the adults? I suggest having a quick look at this discussion - Personalised cornhole boards by @LauraO. It would make an excellent game for family and friends while enjoying the deck. 

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects