Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Paving suggestion

ehsantl
Growing in Experience

Paving suggestion

Hi folks,

I'm planning to pave my backyard with bluestone. As you can see from the picture below, it doesn't look good at the moment. The ground is not level (I think because my house a bit higher that neighbours house) Just wondering what is the best way to tackle this? just topping up the sand and compact it and make it level is enough? or should I use mortar (1+5) for each paver? planning to put a BBQ there

Cheers

IMG_3772.jpg

ehsantl
Growing in Experience

Re: Paving suggestion

Appreciate all the replies.

Thanks @MartyH seems like concrete is too much hassle and needs extra cost. I think I would go with compacted sand and have cement based grout and sealer to stop the weeds.

@Isobel thanks for your reply. I've got a sample paver and I think it would look nice too :smile:

@darylhewston As you can see in the photo, fence "kickboard" is not visible, because my side is about 20cm higher than neighbour's
and currently sands from paved area drips a bit to the other side. My plan is to put couple of sleepers next to the fence and retain that area and then add the base + sand and compact and level :smile:

Branchy249
Cultivating a Following

Good paving all starts from good base preparation.

Regardless whether you use a crushed rock (road base) and sand base or a mortar base, you need to ensure that your base is level and is sloping away from the house, as per the previous comments.

I have laid pavers on both types of bases and they both have there pros and cons. I would slightly lean to a road base/sand base, because if you do happen to make any mistakes or need to pull the pavers up in the future for any reason, it is a lot easier on a sand base than mortar! In any instance, I would rip up your existing pavers and start from scratch to ensure that you get a good solid base. Good luck with it!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Some great advice here! Many thanks to all for their input.

@ehsantl please let us know how you go with the project. It would be great to get an update when you make some progress. And I'm sure community members will be happy to provide more advice if you need a hand.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ehsantl
Growing in Experience

For whoever carious about what happened to my backyard, this is a end result after couple of years

Fence paint and screen + Paving + Deck + Screen for water tank + lots of bamboos

Thanks for your feedbacks

@ehsantl

Really nice.  #jealous.  Lovely place to chill out of an evening

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Wow, brilliant result @ehsantl. Thank you so much for coming back and sharing some photos. Looking forward to seeing what you tackle next!

Feel free to post anytime you need a hand with anything.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects