Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

outdoor seating and planter box

Mutty
Getting Established

outdoor seating and planter box

Hey,

Newbie here. Looking for any tips or even better if anyone has a step by step guide for building outdoor seating similar to the picture. I'm looking to build the floating timber seat look with the planter boxes in around the back. Thinking blueboard just needing some assistance with the framing and seat structure.

Cheers 

Screenshot_20180424-000357_Google.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: outdoor seating and planter box

That looks like a brilliant project @Mutty. I'm sure there will be Workshop members happy to help. 

A very warm welcome to the Workshop community. I trust our members will provide lots of useful advice, information and inspiration for your projects. Feel free to post anytime you need a hand or have something new to share. And please let me know if you ever need help getting the most from the site or have feedback about how we can make Workshop even more useful for you.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MartyH
Amassing an Audience

@pformagg was considering something similar for a fire pit area. See https://www.workshop.com.au/t5/Outdoor/Fire-Pit/m-p/16623

He might be able to help if he did proceed...

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Mutty

You might also find some inspiration and ideas here - https://www.bunnings.com.au/diy-advice/outdoor/outdoor-living/how-to-create-a-modern-diy-outdoor-ent...

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Mutty
Getting Established

Hey guys, thanks for all your help - will upload progress shots soon.

Hit a bit of a brick wall! Turns out I'll need steel to support the weight however don't have the proper foundations on one side to connect it to.

Unlike the picture, one side doesn't have a wall I can connect everything to, so am trying to figure out how I'll have the proper support from the back wall (if that makes sense? makes sense in my head).

However, I'm struggling to find appropriate steel or brackets that would support. Any ideasUntitled.png

I'm thinking I'll need something like the attached picture but can't find the bracket types at my bunnings!

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Joist Hangers

A photo of the area you are working with would always help.

Mutty
Getting Established

Thanks - had a look at those but they didn't look like they would off the support I want for the square tube I was looking at using. I feel like needs to be something that will hold the steel upright and not rely on anything else for support.

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

05aaba95-2fd4-4edf-b9cb-a688a8304e80.png

Is that closer to what your after?

Mutty
Getting Established

That is exactly what i'm after!
Mutty
Getting Established

Thanks @Brad found them - Legend!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects