Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I switch direction of door opening?

Kyliecjr
Finding My Feet

How do I switch direction of door opening?

C328D9A3-61B7-4026-B73A-FE1D1FE8FF4D.jpeg

F7E299B9-D134-478E-AEFB-0D4CCA9C258F.jpeg

7121184B-7C8C-401E-A4D6-717158E44061.jpeg

   

Due to having a super skinny laundry room, I’m having order cabinets that go over the door frame and block the door. My solution to this is to change the door from opening onwards to opening outwards.

Can someone please explain how I go about this? 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I switch direction of door opening?

Hello @Kyliecjr 

Thank you for sharing your question about switching the direction of your door. For internal doors it would not be so hard, but for external doors not only is it difficult but it makes your door unsafe. You will notice that your hinges are on the inside of your door, this prevents the hinge pin from being removed. But once it is outside the hinge pin can easily be removed which will allow your door to be removed and people to enter.

But if you wish to transfer the swing of the door, the entire door frame will need to be removed and turned around. This is because your door frame is made from a single piece of wood.  It would be easier instead to trim the thickness of the laundry cabinet so that the door can still swing. It will be a little bit uneven, but it is a more affordable solution than having the entire door frame removed and turned around.

Let me call our experienced members @TedBear and @JoeAzza for their recommendations. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Kyliecjr @have you thought about installing a glass/aluminium or timber sliding patio door, it would have to be made to suit your opening. similar to photo below. This would be an expensive project.

I agree with @EricL This idea would be a more feasible to do. 

JoeAzza_0-1678105460805.jpeg

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

I agree with @EricL's thoughts on this. Making an external door swing outwards isn't wise and would be difficult.

Cabinets are usually made as units, so I suggest that the unit that will go near the door be a shelf unit that is the same depth as the return wall by the door. This will allow the existing door to swing inwards and still provide you with storage.  

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I'm going to rock the boat @Kyliecjr, and say that it's possible. Fixed pin hinges are available, so that really overrides concerns about the pin being removed if it's on the exterior. It's then just a case of whether the door jamb can be changed, and this is entirely possible, especially if you employ the services of a carpenter. If this were my door, I wouldn't be replacing the whole surrounding jamb but cutting the jamb section that the door closes against off, and installing a new timber section on the opposite side. However, a carpenter might advise that pulling the whole door jamb out and flipping it would be quicker.

Some good points here to consider about adjusting the cabinetry to suit the current door, but if you are set on your idea of the door opening outwards, I believe it's entirely possible.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Hi @MitchellMc 

That fixed pin hinge you mention above - is that what Coco had on his door?

https://www.workshop.bunnings.com.au/t5/Whole-of-House/Double-door-security-bolt-won-t-unlock-with-k...

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Good luck with your outward door @Kyliecjr  - I like unconventional thinking. Please show us the result when finished.

Years ago I turned a sliding security screen door into a conventional hinged outward opening door with a self-closer. You just maybe have to accept some compromises. Cheers.

20230308_090442.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Noyade 

That is an excellent suggestion, using a bolt lock or patio sliding lock should prevent the door from being removed even if they were to pop the hinge pins out. Let me tag @Kyliecjr to make sure they see your suggestion. 

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects