Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a DIY monitor stand?

nixter
Just Starting Out

How to build a DIY monitor stand?

Hi all, 

HAving moved to working from home fulltime, I was looking to upgrade my desk setup with a monitor shelf with integrated drawers. Instead of buying though, I thought it would be a good holiday project for my son and me to work on together (my son is 14 this april). 

I was looking at doing something similar to this one: https://tinyurl.com/2jzh9xe5 for a dual monitor setup with a shelf underneath. Has anyone done something similar and would you be able to help me out with the tools that I might need to complete this project. 

Any help is much appreciated. 

Best

Lloyd

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: DIY Monitor Stand.

Hello @nixter

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about building your own monitor stand.

I suggest reading this post - Advice on pallet table for monitor by @Dark. However, if you wish to assemble the one you've linked to, standard tools such as a circular saw, tape measure, drill, drill bits should be enough to cut the pieces and assemble them together. I suggest using Specrite FJ Laminated panels. These panels are thick enough to hold the weight of two monitors without bending.

A typical 27" monitor is generally around 615mm x 360mm in size. Two of those side by side will be 1230mm, if you place a gap of 10mm and some overhang of 20mm on each side you'll have an overall size of 1280mm. The bottom shelf can then be slightly smaller and the legs made to fit. The key to the assembly is making sure that the height is correct or is in the sweet spot when you're sitting in front of it.

I suggest getting a shoebox or similar item to position your monitor at the correct height. Once it's in the ideal position measure the height and build the stand to that height. Make sure to test several heights so that you're sure that it's perfect for you. Doing the bevelled edge on the shelf can be done either by changing the angle of your circular saw or using a router. 

Let me tag our experienced members @woodenwookie and @Brad for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

I like the idea!

How are you thinking of holding it all together?

If you want to have it able to be taken appart if you move house the big green shed has connectors available similar to the Ikea ones, they are more sold as replacements because they don't sell the drill jig which you will need to get from Ebay, Banggood or Aliexpress or similar.

Dado joints use a slot to increase the glue area and if the joint is good it also lines the joint up as well, router with a gude rail works best ( Craftright have a budget rail that works nicely ) or a circular saw with square botom teeth making multiple passes will also work.

Dowel joints are my personal favourite but it takes a serious investment for good jigs, mine are based on 32mm hole centres.

Biscuit joints, I have the machine to do them but they have to be right 2 ways to fit properly and they are more for alignment than joint strength.

Mitre joints when they are done right do look good, they are a PITA to get a good fitup and you are likely to need biscuits or similar to get them to fit right.

A modesty pannel on the back will give some strength and help keep tings square. It can be put loose into grooves, recessed into the back and fixed with brad nails, just nailing a sheet on the back will work it is not setting a good example though. Tip when using small nails is to start them by holding them with pliers to save your fingers.

If you can use standard drawer kits, they come in two sizes and will need a suitable face plate to hide things. My being a furniture snob means I have to make drawers from scratch...

sper
Building a Reputation

Hi Eric, I was looking at this project for my own inspiration and found it useful. But was wondering what would be my options for the legs? Thanks

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @sper

I've been thinking about this monitor stand and there are now better ways to build them. But before we get to that you can use regular short furniture legs for your table. The drawback is that you have a very limited amount of adjustment when it comes to height. Using timber on the other hand means that you can set the height of the monitor stand to any level. I've drawn a sketch below to give you an idea of how you can be creative with the legs of the monitor stand.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects