Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a wheelchair ramp?

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

How to build a wheelchair ramp?

Heading for surgery next month and need a wheelchair ramp for an indoor step that I will only need for two weeks hence I'm using scrap plywood.

I'm trying and failing to cut an acute angle where the ramp meets the floor. The plywood is 1110 mm long and 900 mm wide with the step being 160 mm in height. I am an overweight man.

This is what I've managed - but I intended to cut the black line. Overestimated the table saw's capabilities.

Thoughts?

Advice?

20221023_113657.jpg

Remarka6le
Amassing an Audience

Re: Wheelchair Ramp Advice.

I'd keep trying for that line, you want it to be gradual to make life easier for yourself. I've seen Bunnings employees cut wood at similar angles in the Bundamba and Oxley stores but I don't know if that's something they offer in all stores. 

Even with two weeks, I'd have done what these two did in this video, seems a lot simpler. When finished with it I'd have posted it online to donate after its use. 

Remarka6le
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

5mins with a belt sander and 60grit paper should get you there @Noyade. That is not exactly accurate, but I'm unaware of any saw that could cut that acute angle. You could set the blade on your table saw square to the table and place cuts across your board that correspond with the depth of your cut line. This would remove the majority of timber, and then you could sand down to the depth of your cuts with a belt sander. By using the depths of the cuts as a guide, you should be able to establish an accurate angled slope.

You'll either understand what I mean, or the above will be complete jibberish. Let me know, and I'll try to explain better or draw a diagram.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Afternoon @Remarka6le 

"I've seen Bunnings employees cut wood at similar angles"

I didn't know that. They cut acute angles along the lengths of plywood sheets?

20221023_113542 (1).jpg

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

I will be alone most of the time.

Possibly drugged.

I will be propelling myself - hopefully - up the ramp under my own power.

Trust me on this, from past experience - the last thing I need to combat is that 'lip' those YouTube guys created. 

What is that height?!What is that height?!

Hi @MitchellMc 

"Let me know, and I'll try to explain better or draw a diagram."

Yes - I do understand. But please, by all means - show a diagram. I love your diagrams. 😁

This will be placed on polished and slippery (when wet) tiles. No way do I want it to 'float'. It must be anchored to the step - or I'll risk killing myself.

I was hoping to get away from sanding, Mitch - but.....

Remarka6le
Amassing an Audience

Hey @Noyade , 

Sorry for the confusion, I never said plywood, I said wood. On both occasions a Bunnings employee was with a customer and they were cutting treated pine sleepers at a steep angle similar to what you've shown with a circular saw. Not sure on the project, didn't think to ask but I do remember it and going "Huh, thought they only had a docking and panel saw". Again, not sure if it's something they offer in all stores, if any, or if it was just employees going the extra mile. 

Agreed about the lip, but it's easily fixable by using an aluminum transition at the bottom or cutting the wood down the last few inches at an angle. There's a solution to everything :smile:

You might just end up having to do a mass belt sand as @MitchellMc described to get you the results you are after. Hope your recovery goes well :smile: 

Remarka6le

Prepare to be delighted, @Noyade!

Of course, you could cut the entire slope on the circular with this method and neaten it up with a belt sander. You'll be there for a while though. Not quite sure how ply will cope with knocking the sections in between out with a chisel. It might tear into the wrong ply layer.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hey @Remarka6le 

"cutting treated pine sleepers"

That's also remarkable - my Bunnings store refuses to cut all treated pine.

Lovely diagram Mitchell. 😁 @MitchellMc 

The problem with that method, as I see it - is my board is 900 mm wide and over 1 metre in length. It's just a little unwieldy.

This also exceeds the ability to use the mitre gauge and the sliding table to the left of the saw which can accommodate only around 700 mm - safely. Otherwise use a fence? - but we won't get those final cuts to the right of your illustration. Also a Lotta cuts, lotta depth changes and a lotta fence adjustments.

The line I marked above is 120 mm in length - maximum cut with a 12" blade for me was around 100mm at the angle I scribed.

100mm100mm

I may just position the plywood board and see what sort of lip protrudes. As you appreciate, it's the smaller wheels at the front of the wheelchair that are the problem.

Thanks. I'll keep ya posted.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects