Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a wheelchair ramp?

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

How to build a wheelchair ramp?

Heading for surgery next month and need a wheelchair ramp for an indoor step that I will only need for two weeks hence I'm using scrap plywood.

I'm trying and failing to cut an acute angle where the ramp meets the floor. The plywood is 1110 mm long and 900 mm wide with the step being 160 mm in height. I am an overweight man.

This is what I've managed - but I intended to cut the black line. Overestimated the table saw's capabilities.

Thoughts?

Advice?

20221023_113657.jpg

Re: Wheelchair Ramp Advice.

Hey again @Remarka6le 

"Hope your recovery goes well"

Thank you!

I had a total left Achilles tendon reconstruction back in March - now it's the right's turn. Two weeks after surgery is about the time I can dispense with the wheelchair and move into a moon-boot. Next winter I plan on burning whatever my ramp becomes - as a sort of celebration. Thanks for ya kind wishes!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Using the fence and extension support could be an option @Noyade

Any chance you could use an access ramp to get over the lip?

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi Mitchell @MitchellMc 

"5mins with a belt sander"

Just located now - note the dust - *cough*.

Ozito - when it was BLUE - from Hardware House, before it became Bunnings.

20221025_110943.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

You're taking me back now, @Noyade! I started my Bunnings career with Hardware House. 

Mitchell

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to build a wheelchair ramp?

Yes that was quite some time ago now.

Weird day. Sun. Rain. Sun. Rain...

20221025_130217.jpg

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Now down to a thickness of a $2 coin.

20221025_152425.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Noyade

Now that you have it down to that thickness hopefully it will be low enough for you to roll over with the wheelchair. 

Eric

brendawebster44
Making a Splash

Hello Noyade, I am no expert on ramps for wheelchairs but I know how you feel with the black boot on. I burned mine too although I had already got rid of one. I am no expert but I always thought plywood was a soft wood and it may be better to use a hardwood. See how you go but I wonder if you have carpet in the house or floor boards. I won’t say too much but it’s a right old job trying to wheel your self around on carpet. If possible I would suggest crutches for around the home and keep the chair for outdoors. I speak with experience not being able to weight bear I wish you all the best and my heart goes out to you. brenda 

Hello @brendawebster44

Let me tag @Noyade to make sure they see your kind words and suggestions. You raise an excellent point about carpets, it is difficult to wheel around them. I've seen this happen on my son's very fancy computer chair. I would probably suggest getting some Ideal DYI 67cm Herringbone Carpet Protector so that at least the wheels won't be sinking into the soft carpet.

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us.

Eric

You are most welcome Mr Eric the wise.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects