Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix a hole in the plaster

Fendogz
Finding My Feet

How to fix a hole in the plaster

Not long ago a friend tripped in our hallway while wheeled his bike down it, leaving a handle bar shaped dent in the hallway plaster 😕 We have a house inspection coming up soon, so I am wanting to patch the hole and looking at options. I have gotten a couple of quotes from tradies, but they are asking a fair chunk of cash including time and materials for a very small project, so thinking I might be able to do this myself and learn a new skill.

My main question is the cost of materials, particulalrly the colour matched paint. What is the smallest amount I can buy and rough price, possibly a sample pot, as I think this would be the biggest expense. After that I'm sure I can find a YouTube video on the process. If anyone has any advice, that would be appreciated!

!37305846_10161087961930713_6014007808532414464_n.jpg

Krusty
Cultivating a Following

Re: How to fix a hole in the plaster

Thanks for the onboard welcome I am looking into building a Pizza oven I will put it in post shortly,Cheer's Krusty.

Frango
Just Starting Out

Great to see projects for customers but may I humbly point out possible amateurish practices in the plaster repair.?

The paint around the hole was sanded AFTER wet filler was applied and not before, even though the importance of paint prep had been pointed out before the filler was applied.

The smaller spatula was only used to dent the edges in where just the large one would have done.

There was an excessive amount of filler applied that was far away from the hole and likewise with the bandage.

Neither would have contributed to the strength of the filled hole past say 10 mm from the periphery..

And the most glaring point was even though it was previewed in the requirements,  NO P.P.E. was used especially the mask when possible fibre glass (?) particles from the bandage, and dust from the filler were being sanded and no respiratory protection happened.

Cheers.

P.S.>>

On thinking about further, for the safety of those following your unsafe? recommendations in this otherwise great video, shouldn't it  be remade?

If it was, I would hope to beat you to the removal of this post in the spirit of positivity.

You would be aware that responsibility and accountability are incurring increasing legal encounters. 

e.g. only recently the dust from a few more industrial practices have been named as just as deadly as asbestos if not more so and quicker to die. 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for joining in the discussion and sharing your feedback @Frango. It sounds like you have a lot of knowledge and experience you can share with the community. We are looking forward to seeing more of your posts soon.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects