Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix front main door crack at bottom?

sunillinus20
Growing in Experience

How to fix front main door crack at bottom?

Hi,

Can you please let me know to fix the  crack on the front door which has the lock to secure the door down?

Please see the photo.

20220525_201825.jpg

20220525_201945.jpg

20220525_201925.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix front main door crack at bottom

Hi @sunillinus20

Thanks for sharing your question about fixing the crack at the bottom of your door. If the front panel of your door has lifted off the main timber frame, I recommend removing the lock and gluing the panel back on. I suggest using Selleys 100g Liquid Nails Construction Adhesive to join the timber pieces back together. Once the adhesive has cured you can re-install the lock.

Let me tag our experienced members @TedBear, @Noyade and @MikeTNZ for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
sunillinus20
Growing in Experience

Hi EricL,

Thank you for replying and for providing information.

The front panel has not lifted off completely. I would say perhaps if I try to separate the panel with from the main door frame, the gap would be around 3mm from top to max 10mm at bottom.

Also to understand the lock removal, is it just that 1 screw as seen the photo of there would be another at bottom? 

Please let me know.

Thank you.

Regards,

Sunil

sunillinus20
Growing in Experience

Sorry EricL.

One more question, in the zoomed in pic that i have now attached, any reason you believe the lock has separated from wood on one side as opposed to the other. Just wanted to know how the lock will be sticking to the wood similar to the other side if the door crack is fixed?

Screenshot_20220526-091347_Gallery.jpg

Similar thoughts to Eric.

I would like to get the door down onto trestles and with a small screwdriver slightly increase the gap so you can squirt the glue deep into the fissure with the fine nozzle seen with the Sellys product. I personally like 'Prep' with a syringe.

Clamp.

Remove excess glue.

Give it a good time to dry.

Not sure if you need to remove that 'lock', but it may help prevent excess glue gumming up the works. Could be another screw at the bottom? If you get the door off you'll see.

That's my 5c.

Good luck. :smile:

20220526_101251.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @sunillinus20 

Looking at your picture, I believe the following sequence of events occurred causing your door to get damaged. Due to the close gap between the bottom of your door and the aluminium weather seal a piece of loose rubber got wedged between the front panel of your door causing it to jam in place. This in turn pulled the panel away from your door frame causing the crack.

Your flush bolt door lock is actually slotted into the timber frame of your door which is separate from the front timber panel. To be clear, the lock is not glued onto the panels, it is screwed into the timber frame. As @Noyade has mentioned it's best to remove the lock so that it does not accidentally get glue on it which will cause you more headaches down the road. Once the door is repaired you may re-install the lock.

Here is an example of how a flush bolt is installed: 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

flush bolt bottom.jpg

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

I agree with @EricL regarding the probable cause. Looking at the bottom of the frame, there are scrape marks in the aluminium, which suggest that the door base has been scrapping over it at that point. That would pull the panel off over time. It would be a good idea to also check the top hinge to make sure it isn't loose and allowing that corner of the door to drop. If it isn't loose, then it maybe wise to take a few mm  off the bottom of the door while you are working on it.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects