Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Moldable Glue - supplier of?

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Moldable Glue - supplier of?

I have a use for a product called moldable glue, such as Sugru Moldable Glue & disappointed to see that Bunnings don't supply it. Does anyone know where I can get it, or something similar in Australia, particularly Western Australia?  

I want it to reinforce the connection points where fine wires are subject to movement, such as earphone wires. Any suggestions please? 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Moldable Glue - supplier of?

Hi @Noyade

Thanks for posting that update on the USB cord repair. Please keep us updated on its performance, I'm sure our members will be keen to know if the repair will last. 

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

@Noyade, there's something satisfying in fixing it yourself sometimes, even if you can buy a replacement for little. For me it's the learning experience, getting ready for those items that you can't replace so easily and getting to know what options are present for new uses.

I have set of small Bluetooth headphones that I love, because they are lightweight and can live around my neck without me even noticing them and are ready when I need to to take or make a phone call. (I even wore them to bed one night by accident, until my wife asked what the occasional blue flashing light was about.)  

Being lightweight they have thin cords to the earpieces which I reinforced, but now, after 2 years, need redoing. So I'll try this product.

Usually BT earphones have lasted me a max of 3 months, so these ones are great and always at hand. (And cost less than $20.)

Hello Eric the wise, I am amazed at this product. Also soo glad Ted Bear that you asked for that particular advice.. I will be putting that on my shopping list for the future. I must admit I did think you were after blue tac hahaha. I could have saved myself a fortune had I known.Well I suppose I do now so once I have tackled covid I will be back to Bunnings. I was lucky to have gone for my winter seedlings early because now I have nothing but time on my hands . brenda 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @TedBear

I have a pair of pioneer headphones that I've had for over ten years and my family wonders why I still keep going back to this battered old set. It's held together with duct tape, super glue, copper wire and a bulldog clip. This set was my first big splurge when I got my bonus many years ago and it still sounds as good as the day I bought it. I'm hoping to learn 3D printing so I can print the head frame and speaker frames again and give my headphones a second life.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

@EricL  a true-blue, crazy, D-I-Y'er!

I love that story.  

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"  is too limiting a saying for us.  Even if an item is "broke, dead and gone" for normal people, we will resurrect it and give it a second life if at all possible. 

3D printing... what a great invention to put toward rebuilding those beloved headphones. I hope that happens. 

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

6104623345423453902.jpg

I bought some Kintsuglue and reinforced the cord connection points. It is a bit tricky to use since it tends to stick to your fingers, but I managed to get a reasonable outcome. Maybe there is something that can be put on our skin first to reduce it sticking. I will experiment when I get time. It's fairly expensive for the amount you get, but then it has limited applications and it does the job. The leftovers should do a few more jobs.

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

I used latex gloves Ted.

My charger repair (above) is holding very well - I'm impressed.

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Today I tried it on welding leads.

I'm a lousy welder and sometimes I inadvertently lower the hot rod onto the lead...

20220707_115143.jpg

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

20220707_115657.jpg

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Then I covered them in heat shrink - with the internal glue...

20220707_120643.jpg

20220707_121635.jpg

They look like an Anaconda that swallowed a goat.

But lets see how we go and how long it lasts - and I need to be more careful. 🤔

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects