Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Painting prep - sanding walls

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Painting prep - sanding walls

Previously I've applied sealant to my walls (new house) then hand sanded it with one of these on a stick...

handsand.png

Problem is it's very manual and boring plus I have a whole lot of walls to sand in the new house so looking for something better.

Can I use something like this to do the job or is it too powerful? I know it can be used on gyprock to sand back the joins, but I'm talking about just sanding back the sealant on plastered walls.

TIA

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Painting prep - sanding walls

@Simon might be able to lend a hand on this one.

I can sympathise with the boring label @ProjectPete! Sanding certainly can be tedious business.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MartyH
Amassing an Audience

Jobs like that are what apprentices are for @ProjectPete!

Have you tried just using an orbital sander? Might get a bit hard on the arms though. This Bunnings article recommends an orbital sander for plaster walls - https://www.bunnings.com.au/diy-advice/paint/paint-preparation/how-to-sand-walls

Yeah I don't see the orbital making it easier. And I still think that or the one I linked above are too strong/powerful for standard plaster walls.

Smoothing joins on plasterboard walls, sure, but not convinced I can get away from the pole sander on this one.

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

I think the pro's get away with fine paper using a drywall sander, they have had a lot of practice though.

For me small orbital is the go as I don't have the arms for heavy or repetitive tasks.

I have been told that using blue board you can paint over without sanding, would still need to do joins and it does cost a bit more. I will do a trial run before doing the shed lining.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects