Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Remove sticky tape from wallpaper

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Remove sticky tape from wallpaper

We have wallpaper on the shop walls and the previous tenant had a love of DIY sticky tape to fix everything.

So she stuck down some of the peeling wallpaper with sticky tape and I would like to fix it properly without damaging the wallpaper when I remove the tape.

Any bright ideas thanks?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Remove sticky tape from wallpaper

What type of wallpaper is it @Brad

You could potentially warm the sticky tape up with a hairdryer, so the glue softens and then gently peel it away. Any residue left could be cleaned up with earbuds and a small amount of isopropyl alcohol.

Let me mention @TedBear and @prettyliving to see if they have any solutions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

199722190_10222939374186940_2264477273350074217_n.jpg

I would say awful but it does feel like paper more than vinyl.

Titebond 111 has stuck down the lose stuff that is minus tape, not ideal but it works...

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

That wide tape is one unsubtle repair!  I hope @MitchellMc 's suggestion of gentle heat does the trick.

(I don't have any better ideas.)

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Paint Cleaner dealt with most of her cable management using the same or similar tape.

Hair dryer does seem to be the universal go to and we have multiple options on which one to use.

Some watered down dish washing liquid has also been a suggestion as a mild fix for glue residue.

I also have a great example of how not to hang a mirror but that is a battle for another day...

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

I wonder why "watered down"? I have found raw dishwasher liquid (we Organic Choice, which is thick and therefore more controllable and less likely to soak in) to be good at removing some sticky residues. I rub it on with a finger. I guess it could remove wallpaper colouring, but maybe you could try it in an inconspicuous place?

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

197712835_10222960333630913_2421805605469600072_n.jpg

Job done, tape didn't stick to the paper just the paint.

Sticker glue on the outside of the shop is resisting chemical cleaning so it may have to be a sand and paint job.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@Brad,

Have you tried something like Goof Off 475ml Adhesive Remover Easy Pour Can? Give it a good 10-15mins to start dissolving the glue before scraping it off.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

I got around to finishing it Thursday...

Steel wool and Goof Off gave me the best results.

Someone who claimed to have owned a sign writing company sugested a citrus based cleaner as the glue used is organic and not petrolium based.

Now I can just paint the store in my spare time...

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects